Thread: APX8500 Remote Mount Resetting

Thanks

Default APX8500 Remote Mount Resetting

I have two County Ambulances with newly installed dual remote head APX8500's that are complaining of the radio occasionally resetting whenever they pickup the hand mic. I have swapped out the power harness and the O7 head on one of them. The other vehicle that showed up today couldn't duplicate the problem. The one thing in common on these is that they are both using the MAGNETIC MIC hangers. I am beginning to wonder if there is something (impulse?) being induced into the mic (and thus the control head) whenever the mic is pulled away from these very strong magnets.

Has anyone seen any ill effects from these mic hangers?

Thanks

Are these high power or mid power units? We have sent several high power units back for PA fails straight from the box. Still have not received the high power units back from repair. We had another issue as you described with resetting but it was a wiring issue from the upfit vendor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 880 Posts

Make sure the installation wiring is followed exactly. Power connections need to go as defined in the manual.

Are you encrypted? MACE errors have not come up unlike the earlier XTL fleet. Look at grounds and power to mke sure they all go where they are supposed to. Upfitters take shortcuts.
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 649 Posts

That sounds like a ground loop issue stemming from the radio deck or one of the heads not having a solid DC ground. I'll second what com501 said on it being absolutely critical that both heads and the radio deck should be sourced from the same B+ and battery ground point using the shortest wiring runs possible. The secondary/slave head should also not have ignition power connected, only the primary head. You need to go over every truck this "upfitter" has worked on and verify that all of the wiring is safe and correct because it's possible that a head or the radio itself is pulling DC negative across the microphone or the antenna mounts.

I've done a couple dozen installs with Magnetic Mic holders in every vehicle chassis you can think of, including ambulances with dual heads, and have not seen what you have described. I have, however, seen myriad problems stemming from bad wiring provided by the ambulance manufacturer. Upfitters don't touch anything I work on.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

box (Oct 01, 2019)

Thanks

These are mid power units. No encryption at this time. So the unit I swapped to a standard mic hanger came back today (while I was gone) with the same complaint and my co-worker swapped out both of the O7 heads. We'll see. I am going to get these units back in the shop to verify the "up-fitter" wiring and also verify antenna performance (just because.) The complaints range from sometimes they reset on their own, when they pick up the mic to sometimes upon PTT. They are data capable so they do transmit location data roughly every 45 seconds. Not sure a radio would reset from a VSWR issue during a short data transmission.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFordman View Post
    The complaints range from sometimes they reset on their own, when they pick up the mic to sometimes upon PTT. They are data capable so they do transmit location data roughly every 45 seconds.
    That REALLY sounds like bad DC wiring. A loose/bad connection would cause the radio to power-cycle on TX from current draw.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

Well, since replacing the control heads, we have heard nothing further from either crew regarding the reset issue. Going to give it a bit more time. Only problem with both control heads being replaced at the same time is, which one is bad, or is it both of them? Intermittent resets are frustrating.