Thread: XTL2500 Died in Transit

Thanks

Default XTL2500 Died in Transit

Hi all

Wondering if anyone has ever seen a problem like this before.

I sold an XTL2500 a few weeks ago, and when the seller got it he reported no power output. I made sure he had the correct setup, and after verifying that he hadn't just accidentally killed the PA by TXing into an open, I accepted a return to take a look at the radio.

When I got it back, it is indeed putting out no power on TX. Ref Osc is dead-on as it was when I sent it out, but I'm getting about 1mW of power out of the antenna port which would imply that the PA is dead.

I've got a claim with USPS to reimburse the radio since I'm guessing it somehow got damaged during shipping (even though it was padded to all hell in the box). I'm just curious if anyone else has ever seen a 2500's PA die for seemingly no reason.

Radio was at full TX power before I packed it up, seller gets it, no power out. Super frustrating to deal with.

Cheers!

Thanks

Static discharge into the antenna connector as a result of the shipping, rubbing, dragging etc.?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiredwrx View Post
    Static discharge into the antenna connector as a result of the shipping, rubbing, dragging etc.?
    I vaguely recall there being an FSB about this.

Thanks

Was the radio wrapped in regular bubble wrap? I bought a load of Systems Sabers packed like that and found a bunch with odd failures.

Thanks

It was packed with just standard bubble wrap - I never even considered that ESD would be an issue on a fully-sealed radio. That could definitely be a possibility. I don't think I've ever shipped out or received a radio in anything other than standard bubble wrap so I must've been extremely unlucky this go-around if that's the case.

From the other thread on here about the XTL5000 PA, I'm guessing that I'm SOL for getting a replacement chip too.

Thanks

Its just bad coincidence. No ESD.

HPM could do it, but not ESD.

Thanks

I have one that suffered the same issue. Boxed up and shipped working 100%. When I got it: driver power only (high power deck so 20ish watts out). Think the PAs flopped.

Also have a mid power XTL5000 that is doing exactly your issue as well down to power reading. I thought it was the "antenna switch" but never dug into it.

Definitely interested to know if I can get either back to life on the bench. I have been hesitant to toss them in a dumpster.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Navy_BOFH For This Useful Post:

MTS2000DES (Oct 05, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 374 Posts

"me too". Have an MP VHF that worked before being put into dry storage (my closet). Took it out, powered it up, almost zero power out. No programming was changed. It just lost it's voice. Like a cheerleader without her megaphone. Puts out a few mW (enough to be heard on a portable nearby) but nothing more.
    Your streaming makes me AES-256. Keep it up and you'll soon have nothing to listen to.

Thanks

The even more interesting thing is that this radio was my daily driver for nearly 3 years - and it took plenty of abuse. From 110F down to -30F over the years installed in my vehicle and it never complained.

I guess it just didn't want to leave.

Thanks

Must be how Motorola does their accelerated life testing.

3 days with USPS is equivalent to 3 years in your car.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,742 Times in 1,931 Posts

X-ray does something? I've had things go fucky before at airport after they out it through the machine. Induced energy? Guessing.

Thanks

Ive found in the couple times i've sold someone a radio (not always Moto), it really helps to wrap them in an ESD bag first (the metalized Mylar not the pink ones) and that'll really help with any ESD from packing peanuts.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to roboshark28 For This Useful Post:

Mars (Oct 14, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    X-ray does something? I've had things go fucky before at airport after they out it through the machine. Induced energy? Guessing.
    You may be on to something here ... Do these failures only happen after the radios have been shipped by air? A couple of years ago marks the implementation of the latest generation of "x-ray" scanners. These are ones to replace the former bunch that use to wipe out unexposed camera film. I wonder if something in the finals reacts to the radiation kind of like EMP? Maybe a good test would be to take an unwanted-but-known-working radio down to UPS and have them run it through their parcel scanner a couple of times.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PossumCop View Post
    You may be on to something here ... Do these failures only happen after the radios have been shipped by air? A couple of years ago marks the implementation of the latest generation of "x-ray" scanners. These are ones to replace the former bunch that use to wipe out unexposed camera film. I wonder if something in the finals reacts to the radiation kind of like EMP? Maybe a good test would be to take an unwanted-but-known-working radio down to UPS and have them run it through their parcel scanner a couple of times.
    I can't imagine the radiation from a single X-ray machine would be able to induce enough damage, especially through an aluminum chassis. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows?

Regardless if I've got time in the next few weeks I might crack the unit open for some troubleshooting. Buyer got his money back but I'd really like to not be out a few hundred bucks.

Looks like the PA FET is a somewhat standard package. The OEM amplifier is NLA but it might be possible to bodge in a new aftermarket one with a little fussing around.

Thanks

Probably shock and vibration. Nothing to do with shipping by air or X-rays, just shipping in general.

The radio has a latent mechanical weakness somewhere that never presented itself while the radio was sitting on your desk or crusing up and down the freeway in your vehicle. But after being kicked around a bit by USPS, it finally breaks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Looks like the PA FET is a somewhat standard package. The OEM amplifier is NLA but it might be possible to bodge in a new aftermarket one with a little fussing around.
    I'd definitely be interested to know. If we can reverse engineer a working FET to find it's bias range and such it shouldn't be too difficult... But I don't have one to spare to do myself.