Thread: Kenwood TK5x10 series

Thanks

Default Kenwood TK5x10 series

Anyone here use Kenwood TK5x10 series P25 radios?

Thanks

I have run one as a comaprisong between a motorola and the Kenwood. I found the recovered audio sounded better but the tx audio had a tendancy to sound puncy. The radio looked fine but im not sure if its rugged enough. The XTS2500 used as a comaprison seemed more solid in my opinion.

Les Grossman No Longer Registered

I have a TK5210, and a 5310, plus I work with the 5710's all of the time.

LG

Thanks

have a 5310 i would like to program a p25 system into it. If only i could figure a way to get the software to let me.

Thanks

Sorry to be redundant but we do not condone the sharing of software or anything that may remove legitimate revenues from any manufaturer. We are aware that many types of software are "floating" arround on the net, I suggest you use your searching abilities or better yet concider purchasing ?????.

Thanks

I never suggested anyone send me software. I believe the programming software can be modified to allow a trunking system to be programmed. No different that the system key gen thats discussed on here.
    Last edited by medic550; Mar 13, 2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: clairifying

Thanks

It was an understandable mistake, from what i read it is an option to enable trunking on these units. I would begin poking around the software and seeing if there is a place to upgrade the unit or enable options and begin there with a debugger.

Thanks

To enable trunking you need a software licence key from your Kenwood rep. In your software you go to tools and select license key and input whatever they give you there. In order to do trunking you will need a system operator license key and a software based system key from Kenwood for the TRS your wanting to program. If you have KPG-95DG software, depending on your situation, you can use a hardware based key and not need a software license key from Kenwood. The hardware key will enable trunking programming best I remember. Their hardware keys leave more to be desired as far as programming restrictions being set on them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WB4JGI View Post
    In your software you go to tools and select license key and input whatever they give you there.
    This is where I would start, Notorola has a OllyDbg tutorial here about "codeplug too new" errors, most of that will apply to the kenwood software as well.

Thanks

And while we're on the subject, since we are allowed to talk about this kind of stuff here, the software license key doesn't check with a server or anything. It actually creates a registry value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KENWOOD Corporation\KPG-95DG look at LID Reg_SZ value and that will be your current license key. It sounds like you have a dealer key. So theoretically you could obtain any system operator key and input it for the software to allow trunking to be displayed.

As far as the radio I don't know if Krapwood has something like a flashcode or special firmware to allow P25 trunking. All of the ones we have tested on our Motorola 7.9 system are version 3's and are the latest. Not bad radios it's just the programming is a pain on the trunking side.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by medic550 View Post
    have a 5310 i would like to program a p25 system into it. If only i could figure a way to get the software to let me.
    I apologise for the missunderstanding. It was the phrasing in the last sentance that confused me. I sounded like you were looking for the actual software and not modifying it.

To futher answer your question the code entered here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KENWOOD Corporation\KPG-95DG can be looked at and edited with a program called regeditX. I woild recomend you take the key you get/have copy it a new file location that way you can edit it with safty.

The key is small only a few bytes and should reveal its secrets relaivly easilly. I do know that you can port the key to other versions of KPG software. This can be done by simply c&p the registry field.

I you are interested in bypassing the request for a key you will need to locate the call that checks the registry for the presence of a key. You will also need to modify the code so that when it compares a key against the sid you have entered it matches.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Les Grossman View Post
    I have a TK5210, and a 5310, plus I work with the 5710's all of the time.

LG
    Les, I was told that the last firmware release for the 5710 Ver. 1 hardware was 1.19. can you confirm this? Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WB4JGI View Post
    If you have KPG-95DG software, depending on your situation, you can use a hardware based key and not need a software license key from Kenwood. The hardware key will enable trunking programming best I remember. Their hardware keys leave more to be desired as far as programming restrictions being set on them.

Ok, let me see if I got this straight, the way it was explained to me, it to enable trunking, you needed a "Engineering Level" s/n for the software, (the engineering level s/n alone doesnt enable trunking) you also need a .skf (system key) file also. The latter which is a bit more difficult to come by than its "M" counterpart. This is the first time I'd heard of the hardware based key, but then again there's not a lot of info floating around out there on this particular subject. Do I have that right?

Thanks

Yeah either need that file or a way to make the software not need it. There has to be a level that doesnt require it. Also what is the latest firmware for the portables and the latest software version. I have 6.21 from 2010.

Thanks

I think the latest version is 7.1 which just came out recently. Ver. 7.0 was released on 9/15/11. Firmware is dependent on your hardware version.

Thanks

The current version is v7.01 for KPG95DG. The DG supports the updated firmware.