Thread: MTS2000 Error Code

Thanks

Default MTS2000 Error Code

Hi All,

I'm new to your forum.

I purchased an MTS2000 800Mhz radio.

Upon power up it shows "FAIL 01/93"

I have read all I can about this and it seems there may be a way to fix this with a hex editor.

I am trying to locate someone on the forum that could tell me the address to edit and how to fix the checksum. I'm sure there is someone who knows this info.

Thanks to all who viewed my message. Any and all help appreciated!!

BigJim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 480 Posts

That's probably the result of someone messing around with a toolproofed radio. If you don't have the original s-record then you are SOL. Replace the controller or, better yet, just replace the radio - they are practically free.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

Radio Crazy (Oct 17, 2019)

Thanks

You are right I do not have the original s-record. That is why I was wondering if someone knows how to edit an s-record because if you can fix this by putting the original back in the radio there must be address that has been changed to make the radio show the fail message.

Just my thoughts, maybe I am totally wrong.

Thanks

Thanks

I'd recommend searching for "MTS2000 Toolproofing" as the topic has been discussed both here and on other forums in great detail. Batlabs in particular has a good explanation. Essentially though, no, the radio can't be revived with anything other than the original, unmodified s-record.

Thanks

Ok thank you..

I'm not done searching.

Thanks

Might as well pack it in. The toolproofing without original S-Record is IRREVERSIBLE. And no one put the time into "hacking" the toolproofing because of either brain power or computing power at the time. Now... its irrelevant since they're absolutely ancient.

If you want another reason to just shit-can the radio - I have about 100 of them sitting in a box that will either not read or write anymore. They're just becoming ragged and old in age. Might as well grab an XTS3000 800 for a few bucks and at least have a radio that can be "played with".

Thanks
    Thanked 6,971 Times in 1,987 Posts

Hold on a sec...

The radio can be fixed. I'm going to provide the full answer here, even if it may technically step on the toes of the forum rules.

Here's what happened. The features were changed, or at least someone attempted to change the features. There is a checksum calculation (in original feature package) which is stored on the host firmware flash ROM. This is why no amount of messing around will clear the 01/93 error: The checksum isn't in the EEPROM, where the codeplug is stored -- the flash ROM is a separate chip.

The way to fix it is to use Depot, a flash cable and an original SRIB. The SRIB is quite rare, and they're not available on eBay as Chinese knockoff clones. Motorola designed the SRIB with custom ICs which haven't been replicated. Anyway, I have the SRIB. I have the cable. I have the software. A Motorola employee chose to share the software on the internet at some point in the past. That's the only conceivable way it was released. The radio is no longer supported by Motorola. I am not selling the software, offering to distribute it to anyone, nor would I charge anyone to repair a problem such as this. (DHS and MSI could claim criminal copyright infringement and/or access-device fraud, technically).

That radio is kind useless, but may still work in TEST mode on simplex frequencies. If you would like your radio aligned, so it works properly on test mode simplex frequencies, I'm more than happy to align your radio so it works properly, and I do not charge for my time. My contact info is in my avatar. When you receive the radio back, it will power up and no longer show FAIL 01/93 on the screen. My LCD repair process resets this error from the LCD, and replaces it with channel names, etc. (cough) You are responsible for the cost of shipping.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

axel (Oct 24, 2019),com501 (Oct 24, 2019)

Thanks

Hey thanks Mars, generous offer.

I have the software and an original SRIB, think I last used it on some Spectras or Astro Spectras. Can't remember for sure. I do not have the cable.

You guys are all right, the radios are old and pretty cheap now. There is a challenge though to figure out how all this works. Kind of interesting.

Thanks

That is one piece of software I have never laid eyes on - though I have recently seen some others ones I swore would never see the light of day *cough Astro cough*... which finally gave me a valid reason for owning an SRIB all this time.

Luckily though the cable is easy to assemble for flashing. I used a surplus KVL cable I had sitting around, re-soldered the pads on the connector end, and pinned out to a DB25. Cost me less than $25 while some jokers are asking $200+ for the OEM cable still... granted if you're to do tuning you'll need to have the test box connector as well.