Thread: ES5100 / 5300 programming questions

Thanks

Default ES5100 / 5300 programming questions

Good day.......so I've been tasked with wiping a whole bushel basket load of 5100 handhelds and 5300 mobiles.

I have PCC 2.18.6. 5100's are v6.10.4. 5300 are v6.16.9. Standard CH's are v6.05 A21. Lightning CH's are v1.4 A21.

I have no programming HARDWARE at the moment. I see there are different purchase options out there. Win10 computer with a serial port. I'd rather go serial....no usb drivers needed.

Can anyone shed some light on the following? :

5100....accessory connector looks just like the Motorola XTS. Just for grins, I tried that programming cable (I have USB and serial). No joy. If I get an "EFJ" serial programming cable...do I need the EFJ version of the Motorola "RIB?"

5300....same same. For a serial cable, is a RIB necessary?

Any friendly advice re programming this stuff would be welcome. I like to think I'm an "expert level" programmer with all the years I have in, but I've never even seen this equipment until today.

Thanks

I can only speak of the 5100ES, But, I have only ever used 2 things with zero problems from either of them.

1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RS232-Progr...72.m2749.l2649

I have no affiliation with either seller or gain from them, Just all that I have ever used. Keyloading is a different story, I use a motorola keyload adapter with the solder mod to make it also work with EF J's. Simple and cheap.

Thanks

That age device I would use a drill press and then recycle...

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 687 Posts

The 5100's and 5300's are actually fairly nice devices, they are in-between XTS3000 and XTS5000 on how "smart" they are, they have full FPP, AES and DES encryption, do P25 and Analog, 1000 (512?) channels, and the portables use XTS3K/5K batteries and accessories like speaker mikes. They are not bad for the money, they usually go fairly cheaply. The CPS is openly freely available from EFJ, they have officially stated they don't care if people use it on old used radios at all, and it's much easier to use and less convoluted than Motorola CPS usually is.

As for the accessories, the KVL adapter can be modified with 1 wire to make it work on the EFJ's, but the programming cable is altogether different. It's actually very nice, the radio takes RS-232 voltage levels directly, so the cable is straight from DB-9 to the XTS type side connector. No RIB or any other level converters required! I made my own easily from an old PS speaker/mic connector.

Thanks

Alpha is correct about the programming cable for the 5100 handhelds - different from the Motorola despite the same audio connector, and its RS-232 straight thru (the factory cable uses a converter from RS-232 to RS-232 to protect the internal microprocessor from transients). The 5300, however, is going to require the EFJ "RIB" (which works differently from the Motorola one). The EFJ RIB actually switches the send/receive data using the RS-232 control leads.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hartley For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Oct 18, 2019)

Thanks

https://rfguys.com/collections/progr...gramming-cable

They are not cheap and I know some of the members here have had issues with RFGuys in the past, so use them at your own risk. I have one of the cables and they do work without the need for any additional hardware.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheCave For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Oct 18, 2019)

Thanks

Well I am wondering if any of those radios are going to be for sale? I do have a programming cable that I ordered online after hunting around a bit for one as well. If need by if you need a programming cable still let me know and will help you look for one. Have a good day if you can....