Thread: Alignment of SLR5700 repeater

Thanks
    Thanked 6,991 Times in 1,990 Posts

Default Alignment of SLR5700 repeater

Does anyone know how the SLR5700 is aligned? There's no option in Tuner for:

- Adjusting deviation
    - Adjustment of balance compensation
    - PA bias
    - Calibrating the TX power (at various points/frequencies)
    - RSSI adjustment for RX
    - Squelch

From what I understand through reading the BSM, there's no adjustment for these items as Motorola wants you to order a replacement modem FRU kit instead? What in the actual foxtrot?

There's got to be a way to service this repeater. These are common items. I can't believe we can't configure any of this as a user. If this is the case, I strongly advise against purchasing the SLR-series repeaters.

Thanks

@mars

Have you looked at the on board Repeater RDS webpage that they moved to with the SLR hardware from 2.7.0

Think it's just https://{repeaters ip address} but I haven't had to do this in a awhile..

Jeff -

3. The Following User Says Thank You to phonebuff For This Useful Post:

Blackwater (Oct 30, 2019)

Thanks

Unable to get in. It prompts me for username and password. I use motorola for username, and password is the repeater's serial number. I tried in all case styles.

Thanks

Try user name of the serial number and password blank...

But they have been changing this some release to release, an I don't have the documentation handy right now..

Thanks

Sorry,

SLR -- motorola and the password is the repeaters serial number. is what I had on a Windows Sticky..

Thanks

Unfortunately, no access.

Does anyone know if there's software or a procedure (autotune?) which will align the SLR series repeater? The "modem" in the SLR5700 covers TX/exciter and RX circuits. It interfaces with the power supply and transmit PA. The modem itself is what needs alignment. RSSI calibration, PA, deviation, etc. Mine is currently "defaulted' after a firmware rollback. From the research I've done, it doesn't appear the Freedom R8000C supports autotuning the repeaters, nor does the 3920B.

Motorola conveniently left out the ability to align the modem (pretty much everything except rated audio and the oscillator adjustment) from the TRBO Tuner software.

Thanks

From the BSM:

Quote Originally Posted by BSM
    Auto Test and Tune Support is an automated alignment procedure for the repeater. This procedure allows you to perform Test and Tune in the right method that saves time and helps to achieve higher efficiency. To accomplish the overall Test and Tune procedure, the repeater must be tested in two test suites: Analog mode and Digital mode. This procedure includes Tuning and Testing in Analog mode and Testing in Digital mode. NOTICE: Contact Motorola Solutions Customer Support for more details on this procedure.
    I guess "Jim Lahey" or "Jacques Cousteau" will be giving CSC a call today. Inquiring minds want to know how to align the repeater they paid $3000 for.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 481 Posts

Apparently, Motorola considers the modem an FRU that is not intended to be aligned beyond what the tuner software allows. They want you to replace the unit, which supposedly is self-calibrating. Check this out:

SLR5700.jpg

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Oct 26, 2019),com501 (Oct 25, 2019),cyrus (Oct 26, 2019),jry (Oct 27, 2019)

Thanks

That's complete crap. I performed a recovery of my repeater, and now the RSSI reading is out of calibration. It shows -70~ dBm with no antenna connected to the unit.

yes, I have the original tuning file. No, writing it back to the repeater does not fix the problem. No, the repeater did not suffer any electronic or physical damage.

Motorola is a bunch of liars. All electronics degrade over time, and a highly sophisticated tuned circuit, such as one that makes up a radio repeater, requires alignment and calibration from time to time.

I very much appreciate the information you have contributed, but I do not believe everything Motorola says for one second.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 889 Posts

Have you tried getting into the repeater with a browser? All I have at work is Firefox and it refused to work correctly. When I used my Surface with the MSI browser it displayed all the fields.
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    Have you tried getting into the repeater with a browser? All I have at work is Firefox and it refused to work correctly. When I used my Surface with the MSI browser it displayed all the fields.
    The password (repeater serial number) isn't working. It's not an option here.

Thanks

@Mars

Could the software serial number have changed due to the way you recovered the unit...

Having never done what you described earlier. Just a straw to reach for..

Thanks

Yes. And I have tried all default serial numbers.

Thanks

try "new-user" as the username. IIRC thats what was used on the APX consolette along with the serial number using all alpha characters in upper case.