Thread: Regional Governance setting in Radio

Thanks

Default Regional Governance setting in Radio

[Admin note: This thread was split from the ASTRO25 R18.00.01 CPS release thread - Mars]

Maybe slightly off topic for ASTRO25 radios, but I noticed a greyed out field in APX CPS saying "FCC compliance".
    Seems that users will have the choice in the future to be compliant or not?
    Hopefully no kind of "secret* unlocking code will be needed for this..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

Probably not, there are too many areas of the world the CPS is distributed in and since there is no "region" enforcement crap, I really doubt it. That field most likely just reflects the status of the Q507 flashcode option bit. Some boxes are for status only, like the "System Key" box for a trunked system, it only reflects some status or other, and can't be toggled by the user. Usually those things are either greyed-out or have "eyeglasses" on them meaning a read or display only setting for that item.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwissMoto View Post
    Maybe slightly off topic for ASTRO25 radios, but I noticed a greyed out field in APX CPS saying "FCC compliance".
    Seems that users will have the choice in the future to be compliant or not?
    Hopefully no kind of "secret* unlocking code will be needed for this..
    It's not there for future use, it's current and called the "Regional Governance" setting, we are way off topic here but this field is set by the depot and cannot be changed by the end user, it's sets many parameters such as 12.5kHz compliance for FCC, or no AES enc algo usage for ACMA etc.
    Andrew

Thanks

The other choice in that field you're talking about is RTTE compliant.

Thanks

We are getting into new thread territory here but the full list of available options under the Regional Governance field are:

Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
    Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA)
    the Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment Directive (RTTE)
    European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), or the
    Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).

It would be good to have a list of pros/cons for each of these?
    Andrew

Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 1,807 Posts

My good friend at the Motorola Depot sent me these three codeplugs with the different governance settings in them. Not sure what the differences may be, but I'm contributing them for the purpose of this thread.

FCC, AMCA and RTTE.

APX CPS 8.02.00 or newer is required to open them.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

As I said before, the (Australian) ACMA option does not have the 12.5kHz narrow-banding restriction but also does not allow the use of the AES-256 encryption algorithm.

I suspect that the European option would also exclude AES?

I'd be interested to know if any of these options is a "super-option" that allows everything?
    Andrew

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I'd be interested to know if any of these options is a "super-option" that allows everything?
    Probably the FCC option.

The 12.5 KHz narrowbanding BS only becomes active if that particular option is present in the flashcode. Every radio manufactured to date, does NOT have that option in the flashcode, so the restriction is not active.

In the future, if anyone gets dicked with the forced 12.5 KHz flashcode crap, I'm sure there will be "removal services" available. I know for certain our coding team is 100% capable of releasing a "CpFix" file which can remove the option and associated FDB bit from the security partition. It's very simple and already mapped out. (ASTRO25 radios)

Thanks

Here are two more codeplugs:

APX7000 with 12.5 KHz mandate enabled (FCC governance)
    XTS5000 VHF with 12.5 KHz mandate enabled

Thanks to friend for the files.

The mandated narrowbanding is enforced in the following ranges: (ASTRO25 line...unsure if APX is identical)

FCC Narrowbanding Mandate:

150.8000 - 162.0125 MHz
    173.2000 - 173.4000 MHz
    421.0000 - 512.0000 MHz
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtp850 No Longer Registered

Fyi, if you purchase a simoco radio with crypto from particular places qthe dealer requests that you sign a form allowing them to provide the acma with the crypto keys..... Aes keys in a acma provisioned plug will not work at all(screen will not even show aes however the module will take the keys) Ofb works fine...

Thanks

Thanks folks for bringing some light into this subject, I didn't know about the different Regional Governances till now.
    (Got our radios straight from the US so didn't know about existing restrictions).
    My blood pressure went substantially down after Mars remark regarding the existence of the forum's "removal service"
    Hopefully we won't need it though...

syntrx No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by mtp850 View Post
    Fyi, if you purchase a simoco radio with crypto from particular places qthe dealer requests that you sign a form allowing them to provide the acma with the crypto keys..... Aes keys in a acma provisioned plug will not work at all(screen will not even show aes however the module will take the keys) Ofb works fine...
    Simoco are strange bastards about selling P25 gear in general. There is no legal requirement for this, and they don't care about the content of your transmissions, only that you comply with the conditions of your license (power, frequency, service area, use AS4295/AS4768 compliant equipment etc.) If it's true, it doesn't surprise me that they'd pull this sort of stunt. FWIW, because ACMA have no cryptanalytic capability they aren't going to be able to do much about your DES-OFB transmissions anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237
    As I said before, the (Australian) ACMA option does not have the 12.5kHz narrow-banding restriction but also does not allow the use of the AES-256 encryption algorithm.

This sounds more like a firmware SNAFU than anything else.

ACMA doesn't care what crypto you run, there are no laws against its use domestically, and I know of about 13 state and federal agencies running AES256 in some capacity on the ASTRO 25 platform. With the exception of Defence, these agencies are all subject to ACMA's jurisdiction with regards the technical standards for the equipment they use. AS4768, the standard for digital LMR equipment contains nothing significant about cryptography.

The only possible cause for this to be deliberate would be that Motorola hasn't applied for any licenses to export AES capable APX radios to Australia, as key lengths 56 bits and below are not subject to the EARs.
    Last edited by syntrx; Dec 05, 2012 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks

God only knows why - Simoco P25 gear is total dog$hit, and every person I speak to agrees with me. Steer clear of Simoco

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post
    Simoco are strange bastards about selling P25 gear in general.