Thread: Unication to Zello

Thanks

Default Unication to Zello

This is a 800mhz P25 trunking system that recently abandoned VHF paging in favor of Unification TG paging via the system. I have a Vol FD inquiring; if I can set them up a unification pager (one of there's) to zello, so others without pagers can hear calls and listen in via cell phone?. I suggested just monitoring a stream but they suggested zello for talkback as well for potential coordination of efforts..... They are all authorized users and they can talk back on their paging TG/admin if they want per system admin/king of the system, but they don't all have radios of course like most volunteers. My question is if they are authorized users of the TG is there anything illegal/shady about setting this up? Specifically if they are authorized user because they are on the department then can they access they system via Zello? I've never messed with ROIP, but have actually used zello alot. With gateways, I see a potential for users without handhelds, to have the ability to communicate with others on other systems. I just want to verify the legal aspects of this since it's fairly new to me. Thanks in advance.

Nick

Astro Spectra is offline TĻ ∆S ō - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

If it's all above board and the users authorized why wouldn't the PSAP or dispatch center do this? Why would you hook up a glorified scanner when the interface could be done more reliably with a console patch?
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

You're funny. In my area patches are never permanent and when you ask for one good luck. They force they tech, everyone better adapt or else.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 677 Posts

You do understand that a Unication pager cannot transmit, right? You need a full-blown radio to actually be able to transmit on the system.

If, however, all you wan to do is set up a Zello group for your station/department and patch radio audio into it then you're golden... but I would clear it with your chief/chain of command first.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

Appreciate it. Iím aware of how they work, perhaps my post covered too many issues/questions in one post that werenít actually Unication related. Iím not a user of this system or even on the department so thatís why Iím a little hesitant.