Thread: LI Battery for Saber / Astro Saber

Thanks

Default LI Battery for Saber / Astro Saber

Hi all, new to the forum.. I have some Sabers and Astro Sabers. There is a seller on E bay with a LI battery for these Saber radios. Have purchased a few of them and quite happy with battery life. They come with a charger and do not use the Saber charger. Terry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twecomm For This Useful Post:

RFI-EMI-GUY (Dec 12, 2019)

Thanks

I have bought a couple of those and they have 3 times the capacity of the OEM battery and 6 oz lighter. Plus now you have a travel charger. What is not to like!

Thanks

I bought one of these as well. The unit went flat in 2 months, and the seller was of no help. Just my experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,862 Times in 942 Posts

Saber standard chargers are not capable of handling lithium batteries, they are too old for that tech. Hence the charger coming with the batteries. It is always a gamble with Chinese sellers as their quality control are batteries are not the same as Motorola. Most are good, but there sometimes is a high failure rate.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

These guys seem to work well, have bought several from them. https://www.cutratebatteries.com/

Thanks

I bought a Cut Rate lithium Saber battery, and it was a dud. Transmitting caused the overcurrent protection to kick in and kill power to the radio, though it would happily sit there receiving all day.

I didn't pursue the matter with the manufacturer. For what I paid, it wasn't worth shipping it back from Australia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post
    I bought a Cut Rate lithium Saber battery, and it was a dud. Transmitting caused the overcurrent protection to kick in and kill power to the radio, though it would happily sit there receiving all day.

I didn't pursue the matter with the manufacturer. For what I paid, it wasn't worth shipping it back from Australia.
    I've had good luck with Cut Rate stuff and have several of their short Li-ion batteries as well as a full-size Ni-Mh I recently bought. All of them have been great but it took forever to get the Ni-Mh.

Thanks

I have purhased a lithium battery recently off eBay and the radio was automatically shutting down / restarting itself when pressed the PTT....but only indoors. Outdoors it was working fine.

My idea was: poor RF shielding inside the battery

Checking the idea: pack the battery pack into thin aluminum foil. And voilá! It worked!

Solution: took the battery back apart, made a DIX RF shielding around the cells inside. Put it back together and it is working since then (more than 2 years now!)

I hope this helped.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HA5BRG For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Dec 19, 2019),sataraid1 (Dec 20, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K7bpg View Post
    Ditto. I've got 6 of their 3.25 inch Li batteries for over a year now. Batteries work without incident. My two Impress chargers,,, well,,, had to have the impress firmware upgraded to 3.11. At the down-level firmware, the charger would not accept another battery --after-- charging/removing the Li. One had to power cycle the charger before it would accept another battery for charge. At 3.11, this problem went away.