Thread: XPR 7550 Impress battery refusing to take a charge

Thanks

Default XPR 7550 Impress battery refusing to take a charge

First post with a quick question. Wondering if there is any simple way to force an Impress 2500 mah battery that has not been charged for 6 or so months to take a charge? I went to recharge a spare battery and it gave me the yellow light first in the charger and I just left it alone overnight to do it's thing. Came back in the morning and the red charge indicator is on and then starts flashing rapidly and then goes to try charging again. Repeats this process. Pulled out the battery a few times and tried to get it to charge again. Goes red charge for a bit and then resumes the fast flashing scenario. Surface voltage is 7.96 vdc but I can only get about .28 of an amp current out of it max. Putting it on a radio and trying it the battery meter indicates full charge but after using it for less than 15 minutes it low battery indicates and the battery indicator shows nearly empty but recovers to 3/4 charge when you unkey. Dies very quickly after that. Battery is a few years old but maybe has been used 20 times at most being a spare.

All my other batteries of the same vintage still work perfect but this particular one seems to have gave up the ghost.

Any suggestions other than the recycling bin for this soldier? If it's junk then so be it but thought I'd ask if anyone's resurrected one of these batteries successfully.

Thanks.

Thanks

You can "cure" the battery on your own. In this case, you need to connect a 7.5-volt light bulb with a power of 5 W to the battery terminals and wait until it goes out. Then fully charge the battery.

Thanks

It is also possible that a battery charge controller needs repair.

Thanks

My friend had this problem. I connected a 12 volt PS to the corresponding terminals on the battery. Just 10 seconds, but it still wouldn’t charge. 3 10 second charges, & the battery would then work with the Impres charger. That was Labor Day weekend. It’s been fine since then. GARY

5. The Following User Says Thank You to N4KVE For This Useful Post:

ndp (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Now this is interesting. We've thrown away these batteries thinking that they were toast. Will definitely give this a try!!

Thanks

I've "cured" many dead batteries especially nicads and nimh and got them to take a charge by doing this zap or jump-start trick with 12 volts. It may not work the first few times. Since they're already dead I don't see any negatives, there's really nothing to lose if you can at least get some life out of them. Make sure its in short intervals of maybe 5-10 seconds

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mot2way For This Useful Post:

Mars (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Had luck jumping them with strait voltage for a while then putting them in the charger. not a fan of 12 volts but Im sure it works well
    I'm a old and slow guy LOL