Thread: Motorola Saber Astro Questons - Programming

nvrescue No Longer Registered

Default Motorola Saber Astro Questons - Programming

Is there anyway to program one radio and clone all of them so I do not have to keep programming 175+ channels on each radio and for soe reason, basic features like beeping when tx or MDC does not work the same on each. I am getting about 10 of these for search and rescue and really could use help. My email is nvresue@charter.net and I would love to speak to someone in US (Cannot afford the international calls) or via email communications. Here is what I have so far, can these take one basic conventional and one programming? I have tried and failed repeatedly.

RADIO 1 - 8801

Decoding Flashcode: 100008-000000-0
    Platform: Astro Saber

Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
    H38: SmartZone Systems Operation

RADIO 2 - 8802

Decoding Flashcode: 440001-000000-7

H14: Enhanced Digital ID Display
    H869: Hardware Multikey Encryption
    H35: Conventional Systems Operation

This radio when turned on says Key Fail
    This on beeps when transmits I like that

RADIO 3 - 8803

Decoding Flashcode: 580001-000000-0

Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
    H14: Enhanced Digital ID Display
    Q498: Hardware Multikey Encryption w/ OTAR
    H35: Conventional Systems Operation

This radio when turned on says Key Fail
    This one does not beep when transmits would like it to

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

You need to open two sessions of CPS. One for the "donor" radio, and the other as the receiving radio.

Drag and drop the programming from the donor radio, to the receiving radio.

You must start out with the conventional personalities, then do the zones.

Also, your radio 2 (8802) appears to be flashed for VSELP. May want to consider a firmware update there.

How do you open two CPS at once, install to two seperate locations?

The funny thing is radio 2 works the best. How can you tell it is VSELP? How do I upgrade firmware?

As far as opening two CPS I just did, lol,,,,,but the VSELP.....

I cannot seem to get the drag and drop to work for some reason, for example I have one file open with 174 channes and one open with 150, I drag the 174 over and the 150 stays the same,,,,,,What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Wirelessly posted

In order for cloning to work, the radios have to have the same feature set. Where are you procuring them from? Are you just buying random Astro Sabers on eBay. That isn't very wise if you don't know what you need. It sounds like you are replacing sabers with astro sabers. While most of us could appreciate the upgrade, I think another model would having suited you better.

We are replacing or upgrading to Astro Sabers, I have always liked them. I have about 100 saber 3 secure radios and 10-15 system saber 3 secure radios, all were given to me by DHS. Unfortunately the narrowband is coming into play. I would love to buy XTS5000 or the APX7000 which I just held one today. One thing for sure is that the Saber type radio are more durable then the new radios. You are correct, I am for now buying on ebay but was told that I may get a ton from DHS which would be way cool and they will probably be the same type and features.

How can you upgrade firmware? The local Mrola shop (Cocky arrogant aholes) said I am out of luck and preeched me on buying radios from them and so on.....Let me tell you, when the SH_t hits the fan, the Sabers and non computerized trucnked radios will be the ones working. I have been at two major cities when their systems crashed and it aint pretty.

Anyway, is there a way to tell firmware version, the CPS says unknown as well as DSP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nvrescue View Post
    We are replacing or upgrading to Astro Sabers, I have always liked them. I have about 100 saber 3 secure radios and 10-15 system saber 3 secure radios, all were given to me by DHS. Unfortunately the narrowband is coming into play. I would love to buy XTS5000 or the APX7000 which I just held one today. One thing for sure is that the Saber type radio are more durable then the new radios. You are correct, I am for now buying on ebay but was told that I may get a ton from DHS which would be way cool and they will probably be the same type and features.

How can you upgrade firmware? The local Mrola shop (Cocky arrogant aholes) said I am out of luck and preeched me on buying radios from them and so on.....Let me tell you, when the SH_t hits the fan, the Sabers and non computerized trucnked radios will be the ones working. I have been at two major cities when their systems crashed and it aint pretty.

Anyway, is there a way to tell firmware version, the CPS says unknown as well as DSP.
    You do realize your Astro Sabers are "computerized" trunked radios, don't you. They are actually more of a computer than a radio. In fact, they have two different "operating systems" on them. They are called HOST and DSP firmware.

To tell the HOST and DSP version, turn the radio on, and press the .. button 5 times. I can guarantee they have old firmware and 512K vocons. They aren't worth a whole lot nowadays.

I really think you would have been better off with MT2000s or HT1250s. The latter is still being made by Motorola, does narrowband just fine and can be had for cheap.

Hey what do you guys reccommend for a good radio? XTS3000? XTS5000?

Thanks

I just recommended two that would suit your needs just fine.

LOL, I need 100.......Maybe 10 good command radios

Thanks

Wirelessly posted

If your radios are being used for lifesaving operations, they should all be good.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

I'd be happy to do firmware uplifts to your radios for you (I only work on ASTRO/ASTRO25/APX stuff) so they're current, support 2.5 KHz step-size, and actually work properly, but you'd have to ship them to Canada. Don't worry, I'm not a scam artist. I can provide references if requested. I'll fix the radios so they can clone properly, too. But to be realistic, if all you require the radios for is analog operation, there's really not that much to gain, except slightly better-sounding audio, and a handful of bug-fixes.

Naturally I do not work for free, but my prices are quite reasonable. If you are interested, you may send me a PM.