Thread: Can't read XTS3000

Thanks

Default Can't read XTS3000

Hi all,

I need help with my XTS3000 radio. It is an XTS3000 M2 UHF model H09SDF9PW7BN. Firmware R07.11.00, DSP N08.02.06, Flashcode 1500010000002. The radio turns on, passes self-test and works without any problems.

Now, I need to change some freqs/settings. I have a RIB (chinese clone, like this), a RIB cable for the XTS3000/HT1000 (like this), a laptop with a COM port and Windows XP. The software I am using is Astro Saber & XTS3000 CPS R05.03.00.

Symptoms: when trying to read the radio, it beeps and displays “1 CSQ” on the display. The CPS then freezes for a couple of minutes. Then the radio reboots, and CPS ends up with “Communication with radio failed”. The FDB Tool does not see the radio either.

Checked the cable between the radio and RIB - OK. Changed the RIB battery, powered it from an external 9V source - it does not help. Checked the cable between RIB and COM port - also OK. The COM port itself is OK. Tried another computer - the same problem. Tried the old RSS under DOS (via DosBox) - the radio displays "1 CSQ", but the RSS ends up with "Bus data collision on tx error".

With exactly the same hardware (except the laptop) and the same CPS, I was able to program the similar XTS3000 about 7-8 years ago. Since then RIB and cables lay in the cabinet.

Unfortunately, I do not have another Motorola radio to check if the RIB is OK.

What else can I do here?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 561 Posts

1 CSQ is normal behavior so you are connecting to the radio. You didn’t post your CPS version, what OS you are using, or whether you are running 32-bit or 64-bit. Your best bet is to use the last version of Windows CPS running on XP and with a real serial port.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,737 Times in 2,153 Posts

Could be dirty contacts on side of radio. Clean gently with a pencil eraser.

Cable could be welfare. Also check to see if it's getting any interference (DC pulsing) from another cable nearby.

Could be something installed on computer that's dicking with your comm port. I had a toughbook years ago that had IRQ/sharing issues with the GPS. Same behavior as what you're describing.

And I saved the best for last. Have you tried reading with your laptop power supply disconnected? Those chowderhead power supplies from China put out so much damn noise. I can't even align radios with my XP laptop, unless I triple ground everything (common ground on service monitor, function generator, laptop, etc. aka ground loop)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

HATT (Feb 11, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks for answers I have figured out the problem: it was the RIB itself. I've found another one at our local radio club, and was able to read/write the radio without any problems then.

Thanks

Look over the old RIB for a cold solder, probably fixable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    And I saved the best for last. Have you tried reading with your laptop power supply disconnected? Those chowderhead power supplies from China put out so much damn noise. I can't even align radios with my XP laptop, unless I triple ground everything (common ground on service monitor, function generator, laptop, etc. aka ground loop)

This is a good suggestion. The first time I tried this, nothing would work. When I took a break and looked at my setup from across the room, I saw an issue. The laptop was plugged in to a standard Dell OEM charger. The radio was powered by the Rube-Goldberg-iest contraption I have seen in a while. Kinda proud of it. The battery was charging so I had a $8 Chinese cigarette lighter/battery eliminator plugged in to a $20 Chinese 12v 10A power supply that was itself plugged in to the wall.

Still hoping not to disturb the battery's beauty rest, I instead connected the battery eliminator to a 12v SLA battery. Taking that crap power supply out of the equation and eliminating a loop with two ends on 120v power resulted in the radio reading OK.

I have not yet tried unplugging the laptop when troubleshooting but I'll add it to the repertoire. Now I just need to dig around for a battery for the old XP laptop that still holds a charge.

Astro Spectra is offline T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

A golden rule I live by: never program a portable radio that's charging. Always have it running from its own battery!

Less golden but something I also do: program fixed and vehicle radios from a laptop that's operating from its own battery.

These precautions completely eliminate the risk of grounds loops and horrible transients on the programming ports.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Astro Spectra For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Feb 22, 2020),Avery Johannssenn (Feb 22, 2020),bellyacher (Feb 22, 2020),Mars (Feb 21, 2020),Notarola (Feb 21, 2020)

Alpha is offline T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 737 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Astro Spectra View Post
    A golden rule I live by: never program a portable radio that's charging. Always have it running from its own battery!

Less golden but something I also do: program fixed and vehicle radios from a laptop that's operating from its own battery.

These precautions completely eliminate the risk of grounds loops and horrible transients on the programming ports.
    Not to mention protection from total loss of AC power (blackout, etc.) while flashing. This can be very fatal depending on model/series being programmed. Having a laptop w/freshly topped off battery is effectively a builtin UPS. Operating on AC that way, it's doubly secure.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

Astro Spectra (Feb 22, 2020),box (Feb 25, 2020)