Thread: MTS2000

clark No Longer Registered

Default MTS2000

I am attempting to program some MTS2000"s for 800 passive programming. On a H37 system they scan and when it goes to the frequency it has open squeltch only. It does not do that when I program it for for the bigger H38 systems. I have another radio that does not do that on either system.
    I think it just needs to be tuned up and that should solve the issue. All the systems I am listening to are rebanded as well.
    I hope some one has some ideas for me, I am learning as I go along and want to learn more.
    Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

What firmware version is this radio? Hit the ".." button FIVE TIMES, within the FIRST TEN SECONDS of powering the radio on.

If your firmware is older than R08.70, then you need a firmware update to support rebanding. The final MTS2000 firmware is R08.73.

Some MTS2000s have older, non-upgradable controllers. i.e. firmware update not supported.

Should you need a firmware update, you may contact me (per the ad in my signature) to arrange for services.

I looked at the firmware and its 8.73 already. I notice it happens more when its on scan most of the time. They are all BN models as well. Could it be a scan issue? I checked that too and saw nothing different than the MTS2000 that works.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

Under the Trunking/Trunking Configuration tab, is the "Rebanding Enabled" box enabled?

It's also possible they could be using a shuffled bandplan. I can't remember the exact name for this, but Moto has a feature they are/were selling (in higher tier radios) which obfuscates the channel numbers from the actual frequencies. A Advanced System Key (ASK) is required for this type of setup. Basically, the purpose of this is to screw over scanner people and others who are unauthorized.

But you say another radio works fine? That kind of rules out the theory above.

Does it sound like white noise when it switches to the channels? Are they digital talkgroups maybe? Can you post an audio sample?

Nope its an analog system. It trunks and goes to a frequency but it seems like its only when I have it on scan. I have the scan as talkgroup in each scan list too. I have programmed in a XTS2500 and a APX7000 plus other MTS200's as well with no issue. It just sounds like open squelch instead of voice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

Could it be SecureNET? The old 12kHz encryption sounds like open squelch white noise but at full signal strength. If your radio is secure capable, it will flash the secure icon in the display or double-flash the LED if you are receiving in coded mode. The other thing you might notice is the 6 kHz tone at the end of transmissions makes a short soft high-piched "weep" tone right before the carrier drops.

No its not that because my Uniden works on it and my other radios work on it as well. I belive its not the system because I have other MTS2000s that I have programmed on the same system without issues. This has stumped allot of others too.

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I'm sure you meant 12 kbps there Alpha... Securenet made full use of the old 25 kHz channels, amazing it worked as well as it did for the technology! No CPU or DSP chip needed.