Thread: Audio Leveling on XPR7550 Analog

Thanks

Default Audio Leveling on XPR7550 Analog

I recently added the Audio Leveling Feature to to my XPR7550 and so far it's been working as expected. However I noticed that it requires turning the volume control up almost all the way in order to get a comfortable listing level.

I was wondering if there's a way to boost the overall receive audio level or is this the way it's intended.

Firmware 2.09 and CPS16 B828.

Thanks

Radio set to Loud? Intelligent Audio set to Off? Audio preference set to Treble Boost? FB

Thanks

I do not recommend Loud or treble boost, unless you are compensating for a specific user's hearing loss in a certain frequency band, or compensating for the audio response of 3rd party accessories.

Having to leave volume up is normal when using RX leveling, nothing wrong with that.

Use an earpiece, or upgrade to a Kenwood NX-5300 or Tait TP9500 if you need better built-in audio for DMR or Analog, or switch to CP200d if you don't need systems support.

Even a CP185 will treat you better for Analog usage.

Not only is DMR not Motorola's first priority, there are also conflicts of interest in how they design and market their DMR products.

Tait and Kenwood use the same public safety grade hardware platform for DMR and P25, so you are not subject to the conflicts of interest or inferior design of Motorola's PCR products.

Remember, the speaker in the XPR7550 is intentionally crippled by Motorola, and much smaller than an HT750, XPR6550, or CP200/d. Its just bad hardware, no way around it even with great DSP.

The XPR7550 is just bad enough that Museums and utility companies buy P25 Phase II systems with APX4000s, which is exactly what Motorola has intended.

Motorola has gone backwards from all prior Waris, Radius, and Jedi portables and shrunk the speaker in their "flagship" PCR product.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PSEhub For This Useful Post:

Mars (Feb 21, 2020),phonebuff (Feb 20, 2020),Radioguy7268 (Feb 20, 2020),romanrobles (Feb 20, 2020),Viper1-6 (Feb 22, 2020)

Thanks

I ended up not using audio leveling on analog, it didn't work well at all in any of my testing. Does definitely help a lot on digital however.

I'd love to try Kenwood/Tait-Harris DMR gear however I'm stuck in the infinite loop of needing Moto proprietary features (mainly Capacity Plus trunking and Enhanced Privacy).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forts For This Useful Post:

PSEhub (Feb 21, 2020),Viper1-6 (Feb 22, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Geekdad View Post
    I recently added the Audio Leveling Feature to to my XPR7550 and so far it's been working as expected. However I noticed that it requires turning the volume control up almost all the way in order to get a comfortable listing level.

I was wondering if there's a way to boost the overall receive audio level or is this the way it's intended.

Firmware 2.09 and CPS16 B828.
    Check it out...

https://communications.support/threa...udio+levelling

Thanks

These audio problems have plagued the TRBO line from day 1. For what little TRBO I deal with I have had to align each unit separately. Now that the units are held at v15.0 I see no reason to ever have to update. The toy speaker in the 7550 is the primary reason all units have a speaker mic. I prefer no audio accessory so that the radio is lifted to a better position for TXing but thats a topic for another thread.

If Moto really wanted to encourage people to migrate to CPS2 the should fix the default firmware, codeplug and tuning values to finally address the audio issues. Moto has the hardware to test against a known properly configured repeater/Cap+ and Cap max system. They can also check each product (XPR7550, Cp200d etc) for proper default settings when programmed by CPS2. The same for audio accessories. This will never happen as Moto doesnt seem to care past selling the hardware. Unfortunatly Im starting to see similar issues on the APX line (right out of the box from Moto).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Notarola For This Useful Post:

Radioguy7268 (Feb 21, 2020),romanrobles (Feb 24, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,736 Times in 2,153 Posts

If:

- Tait offered a Tier II trunking solution;
    - Tait's products were readily available and widely-marketed;
    - AES-256 was a standard feature;
    - Tait's products had FPP (do they? I don't know);
    - Pricing was better than Motorola (don't know, they don't advertise);
    - Pretty sure Tait offers a REAL RF connector instead of a Foxtrot "Bolt"

Then I would jump on Tait. Motorola's DMR line is garbage. I have no problem stating this. The only reason I'm with the XPR series is because of availability and the Tier II trunking (Capacity Plus Multi-site). I'd also have to rip out the repeaters and replace them, too.

I truly wish the worst for Motorola. Metaphorically, they are that annoying fat kid in school who thought he was so cool and knew everything and always tried to compensate for being such an annoying piece of shit. Much like Eric Cartman from South Park.

Motorola, you have no clue what you're doing. You're an embarrassment to this industry. There's absolutely no commitment to quality, consistency, functionality or a demonstrated awareness of the clients' needs. To think 40-bit encryption is sufficient for TODAY, means you're seriously at the bottom of the game.

In the interest of offering constructive feedback, here's what the shit-encrusted d|ck helmets at Motorola need to do to regain our interest and confidence in their products:

- Take DMR seriously. Participate in DMR 2.0 and offer up enhancements such as talkgroup patching, native encryption support, native security functionality such as network authentication (RAS doesn't count), default AES, default authenticated radio enable/disable/remote monitor, etc.

- Build proper hardware. This welfare injection-molded plastic shit which is the pathetic XPR7550 housing, is laughable. Put a real speaker (like Jedi or Waris) into the radio. 1W of audio. USE A REAL RF CONNECTOR YOU TARDS.

- Take SUBSCRIBER DATA SECURITY seriously. I'm making inference to the PATHETIC key management policies on the XPR lineup. Do you idiots understand how difficult it is to maintain security when EDP/AES/RAS/OTAP keys are stored CLEARTEXT in the codeplug? WHY???? We can't email codeplugs around when they're so easily compromised. Why is there no secure memory (hell, even a separate partition within the existing flash ROM) where key data is stored, where a separate software or hardware loading utility can be used to load the keys? That way subs can be maintained/codeplugs emailed, without leaking key data.

- Implement Inband Positioning Data Service and Inband Talker Alias Data Service (aka Voice w/GPS an Talker Alias) as defined on Page 52 of the ETSI standard, published in Feb. 2016. https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts...02v020301p.pdf -- The hell is wrong with you people over there? These are MANDATORY featuresets at this point in the DMR game. Other vendors, including the one in which Motorola claims "infringed" them, have implemented this stuff. It's a PATHETIC JOKE Motorola -- a supposed leader in the communications industry, can't be bothered implementing these functions. Talker Alias would make a world of difference toward the never-ending battle, which is the process of maintaining contact lists. Allowing a user to define their own Alphanumeric ID which is displayed on the receiving sub is the only realistic way of doing it.

- Related to above, have a standalone utility/file format for maintaining contact lists. That way updated contact lists can be circulated via email, without compromising the system RAS, EDP, AES or OTAP keys which are found in the codeplug. This seems like a no brainer, but not at Motorola.

- Any feature or function which has a beneficial or "brand enhancing" benefit, should be included at NO COST to the subscriber, and enabled by default. RX Audio Leveling. Enhanced Noise Suppression. Digital audio TX AGC. These are excellent features when enabled together/used properly. Motorola sells the first two as EIDs, and charges $2/each. Are you kidding me? For $4 per sub, they should be FREE. If the customer/shop doesn't use those functions, they won't know how much better the product can sound. First impressions are important. Critical. Stupid people (subs, hams, anyone who doesn't "get" how these radios work) start shit-talking the brand and complaining about audio quality. I've said it before, and it needs to be said again: RF COVERAGE AND AUDIO QUALITY ARE THE ONLY TWO FACTORS SUBS CARE ABOUT. FOCUS.

I'm done rambling. I'm just tired of Motorola. Just die. I want to curbstomp the stupid I see coming out of that place. We don't care about P25. P25 is not applicable to business customers. There's no security. There's no TDMA conventional options. The radios are high-profile and expensive. Slow data. UUUUUUGE sizes. Subs want low-profile, non-intimidating, cost-effective solutions. Go choke on Trump's orange phallus and may you go **** up ASAP.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

foxtrotdelta (Feb 22, 2020),PSEhub (Feb 23, 2020),Radioguy7268 (Feb 21, 2020),romanrobles (Feb 24, 2020),thassler (Feb 22, 2020),Viper1-6 (Feb 22, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by p25smartzone View Post
    Thanks, I'd love to download the pdf but I don't have permission yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Radio set to Loud? Intelligent Audio set to Off? Audio preference set to Treble Boost? FB
    Radio set to loud, intelligent Audio is on, no treble boost. Audio quality is actually quite good, I just need to keep the volume control at the upper levels.

No big deal, just wondering if that was normal.

Thanks

Disable Intelligent Audio, Turn Loud On, Set Preference to Treble Boost,

Intelligent Audio is a trap for typical end users, if you turn it on in a loud environment it messes up the algorithm. The audio PA only puts out so much power. If you concentrate that power into narrower audio frequencies, those frequencies end up being louder. FB
    Obviously NOT a radio professional!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fatboy For This Useful Post:

Radioguy7268 (Feb 25, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Disable Intelligent Audio, Turn Loud On, Set Preference to Treble Boost,

Intelligent Audio is a trap for typical end users, if you turn it on in a loud environment it messes up the algorithm. The audio PA only puts out so much power. If you concentrate that power into narrower audio frequencies, those frequencies end up being louder. FB
    Intelligent Audio is Digital Mode only and doesn't impact Analog unless I'm missing something. I'm not really having any issues with Digital. My problem is every analog radio out there has a different TX audio level so I'm constantly twiddling the volume.

Thanks

I have been able to significantly boost volume level (focused on RSM's) using the tuner program on xpr 3300/3500 series.