Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guidance for antenna and placement for indoor convention hotel repeater

Thanks

Thanks. It looks like RFS has it down to a science. I will have to look again at their cable specs.

Thanks

I know this has been kind of solved, but I thought I would add this for future reference.

Has anyone used a passive antenna system for hard to reach areas? I installed a few at a large facility (like a campus) with basements. They were using a UHF repeater located in the highest structure and they had little to no coverage in the basement areas with their HT. I utilized a yagi antenna on the outside of the building pointed at the repeater and a 1/4 wave in the basement area, connected together with a good quality coaxial cable. It worked great and the cost was low.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K6SJH For This Useful Post:

PSEhub (Apr 26, 2020),RFI-EMI-GUY (Apr 26, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K6SJH View Post
    I know this has been kind of solved, but I thought I would add this for future reference.

Has anyone used a passive antenna system for hard to reach areas? I installed a few at a large facility (like a campus) with basements. They were using a UHF repeater located in the highest structure and they had little to no coverage in the basement areas with their HT. I utilized a yagi antenna on the outside of the building pointed at the repeater and a 1/4 wave in the basement area, connected together with a good quality coaxial cable. It worked great and the cost was low.
    Yes, this is often overlooked but works great. All it needs is a path!

Thanks

I have used passive systems to provide coverage in "sheilded" areas. They work great provided the area to be covered is not large and the system signal level is highish so that the outside to inside levels are at a reliable useable level.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Notarola For This Useful Post:

PSEhub (Apr 27, 2020)

Thanks

It is a fascinating concept. On the surface, you are faced with two free space loss conditions that appear daunting. But if your building shielding well exceeds the interior free space loss, subscriber to interior antenna, and you otherwise have excess link budget, then you have a chance.

Places to try this. Elevator cars, bank vaults, basements, tunnels. Emphasis on "try".

Thanks

Free space calculations are only accurate in "free space". In our world we have reflections from the ground, buildings, etc, that can combine in phase and add up to 6dB at the receiver or combine out of phase and attenuate 20dB or more.

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    It is a fascinating concept. On the surface, you are faced with two free space loss conditions that appear daunting. But if your building shielding well exceeds the interior free space loss, subscriber to interior antenna, and you otherwise have excess link budget, then you have a chance.

Places to try this. Elevator cars, bank vaults, basements, tunnels. Emphasis on "try".

Thanks

I have found yelling real loud into to the radio helps too. LOL

Thanks

Just my 2 cents.

I have had good results of mounting permanent and temporary repeaters on the outside of the building.
    For example a 10 story building, mount the antenna on the 5th floor on the opposite building.
    On larger hotels complexes, there are often auxiliary buildings that can be used. I have also used a vehicle for temporary use, like rental etc.

In my head You accomplish three things:
    1. The RF path has to travel through less concrete and building material.
    2. The antennas will work in the horizontal plane, instead of vertical.
    3. You have a better chance on getting more space around your antenna, then by mounting indoor.

The path is often a lot "shorter" to the parking lot, then through several feet of reinforced concrete.

For DAS-ish installations I have used simple dipoles, just mounted horizontal (for when You need to get through the floors) with a network of splitters and tappers.