Thread: XE500 RSM Questions

Thanks

Default XE500 RSM Questions

I have a user that would like the lights and tones to be turned off on an XE500 attached to an APX6000. I'm not at all familiar with the XE500, and am wondering if this is even possible.

The main complaint is flashing lights and secondarily a lot of tones coming from the mic. The user specifically mentioned the tones when actuating the volume adjust switch but there might be more cases. The desire is for it to act like a normal RSM such as those on the XTS2500's they migrated from.

Prior to this getting to me a radio profile activating surveillance mode had been added. As expected when switching to this profile all lights and tones are successfully disabled. However, the radio is primarily used on a trunking system and the desired behavior is to still have the TPT active as well as the radio display backlight.

It seems like this would be settings within the RSM similar to the Wireless RSMs and able to be programmed with the Accessory Programming Software. However, another thread showed a special box that was needed to upgrade the firmware in one, so I assume the normal USB connection does not exist.

Is configuration of the mic limited to those settings able to be changed in the radio programming? Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks

I don’t believe there’s anything in the CPS for the XE500. I have a XE500 and the only time the light comes on is when I first hook it up it does one quick flash. As for the beeps it makes when you adjust the volume there is no setting for that, at least not in the CPS that I’ve found. When you say flashing lights, when does this occur? I know it flashes when emergency mode is activated. But other than that I don’t believe it’s suppose to flash.

Thanks

There are no configurable options in APS for the XE500. The box in the other thread was needed for upgrading firmware in a large fleet of very early XE500's to solve a noise reduction AGC sampling issue.

The light should only very shortly flash during the self test upon powering on unless there is an emergency activation or the user activates the flashlight feature.

Off the top of my head, make sure Channel Control Lockout with ACC is set to None and External Accessory Enable radio is unchecked. Start there and report back.

Edit: Also double check the top display is not displaying a short error like "HW ACCY NA"

Thanks

Thanks for the information. No experience with them prior to this so this is very helpful.

Since I wasn't sure what all was configurable I didn't really get a good description of the issue with the light. Knowing how it should work now I'll see if something different is happening. It may be just the quick flash when turning on the radio while getting out of the vehicle. I can see that being annoying in some cases.

The user made it sound like a lot of tones, but was only able to point out the volume adjust tones. I figured they were standard since I know of other accessories that work the same way so thanks for the confirmation.

Do you know if the light would come on while the radio is out of range? The portable coverage of the system is limited so the radios will go out of range frequently. Coincidentally the Out of Range tone was the primary issue the user came to me for as it was not activated in their previous radios.

Thanks

The light does not come on when the radio is OOR.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TESTMODE For This Useful Post:

box (Mar 06, 2020)

Thanks

So what does the Bluetooth LED light do?

I have one of these I am checking out for use but I don't see any function of the BT LED. Is it only used for the FD Voice amps in their SCBAs?

I have it attached to a APX6000XE radio and it is pretty amazing how loud it is!

This is the PMMN4106C

I should say I actually don't care about the LED, I was just concerned it might not be working.

Thanks

The spec sheet mentions, *Bluetooth LED displays radio Bluetooth connectivity with future SW release.
    Not tried it yet on R20, or R21 to see if it has been activated yet.

Thanks

Interesting, I figured it was something like that. Still wondering why it wouldn't be active in anything past R15 since that was the released firmware at the time it came out I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong there ha.

Thanks

Latest CPS and Firmware in a APX6000XE_AN and XE500 microphone attached and paired to a PMMN4095A.

No BT light activity on the XE500.

Will Try a BN next week.