Thread: 144-148 MHz Ham Band Programming - EFJ 5300 Mobile Radio

Thanks

Default 144-148 MHz Ham Band Programming - EFJ 5300 Mobile Radio

I have two new-old-stock EFJ Model 5300 radios, one a model number 242-5426, and the other a model 242-5326. The radios are factory-prepared for coverage in the range 146-173 MHz. I cannot program below 146 MHz using CPP 2.12.7, unfortunately. I need to program various 2-Meter repeater frequencies in the 144-145 MHz range.

Can someone help with suggestions to gain this coverage? I don't mind losing coverage at the high end of the band, i.e. moving the operating band to 144-171 MHz. All I need is operation between 144-148 MHz and receive in 162 MHz area for NOAA weather radio broadcasts.

Thanks

As far as I know, you are stuck in the high band. You need a 5x2x (in the 5300 series) model number to get the full 136-174 MHz coverage.

Thanks

Thank you.

I see now I should have posted this in the Out-of-Band Programming section.

Thanks

If you have access to a tuner, you can reband them to VHF-Lo or VHF 136. I've done this before with no problems, but they definitely require a retune after you do it.

You can change the band using PCTune (3.0.x should work for those radios, if you're using 2.12 to program them), under the tools menu, password is "huskers"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sloosecannon For This Useful Post:

p47r4ck (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sloosecannon View Post
    If you have access to a tuner, you can reband them to VHF-Lo or VHF 136. I've done this before with no problems, but they definitely require a retune after you do it.

You can change the band using PCTune (3.0.x should work for those radios, if you're using 2.12 to program them), under the tools menu, password is "huskers"
    Outstanding! I have the tuner software and can see how to work this. Thank you very much!

Thanks

You definitely want to tune it using an actual service monitor as well though. Copying tuning parameters may work to a certain extent, but you're likely to have issues with that.

Thanks

You definitely want to tune it using an actual service monitor as well though. Copying tuning parameters may work to a certain extent, but you're likely to have issues with that.
    I see that process will reset the radio from (VHF-Hi) 146-174 MHz to (VHF-Lo) 136 to 150 MHz. That is fine, but if done, how does it do with the NOAA WX channels at 162.5 MHz? Is it possible to reset it to 136-174 MHz at 50W of output power? These are both 100W radios.

Thanks

I figured they were. Pretty much the only time you'll run into that.

50w works fine as well. Alternatively you can OOB PCC and can probably monitor that channel, although I haven't verified that works personally.

Thanks

I figured they were. Pretty much the only time you'll run into that.

50w works fine as well. Alternatively you can OOB PCC and can probably monitor that channel, although I haven't verified that works personally.
    OOB PCC? I'm not clear what you mean. Thanks for the information!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bedu20 View Post
    OOB PCC? I'm not clear what you mean. Thanks for the information!
    Aha - yes. I understand now. Thanks again!