Thread: OTAP: Can Cross-vendor OTAP really work?

Thanks

Default OTAP: Can Cross-vendor OTAP really work?

Our Motorola rep is claiming that OTAP can work on Motorola radios on a Harris system. He is certain that it can be done and wants to show us on our system. All of this got put on the back burner due to the COVID-19 problem. Can anyone shed some light on whether we are wasting our time? If it can work, what is needed on the infrastructure side?

Thanks

I don't know enough about OTAP/POP25 to speak authoritatively about this, but I believe OTAP is just a programming session over CAI data, rather than USB or BT.

However, at least someone in marketing thinks differently:

Radio Management batch programming of APX radios via OTAP can only occur with a Motorola ASTRO® 25 Project 25 system, which has voice priority over data, so a user’s call, emergency notifications or critical communications will not be interrupted with OTAP. Should an OTAP session be interrupted with communications, programming will resume after the call without the need to restart, expediting the process.
    https://www.motorolasolutions.com/co...fact_sheet.pdf

Thanks

That is exactly what we were thinking. On the Harris side, voice preempts data as well, but we have to restart a failed OTAP manually. We were thinking that Motorola is just going to add a mobile with a MODEM connected to a PC running CPS or something along those lines, but that would not be preempted. I guess we'll find out when this crisis is over.