Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The cops dont like the antennas

Thanks

Thanks

Cops always find something to complain about. I know first hand. Nothing is perfect. Maybe it's the cars fault the antenna gets stuck in the seatbelt and door. Maybe the car manufacturer should redesign the car just for them. Maybe they need a new solution for a radio carrier. I could go on and on.

I drive a new PI sedan. I am left handed and my gun holster hits the B pillar every time I get out of the car and the damn seatbelt snags my holster. Maybe I should make ford redesign. Jeez.

Thanks

Gotta be a dual band APX antenna. That antenna is worse than the wideband VHF dipole.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

I agree with the cops. I don't know WTF Motorola was thinking when they designed the APX antenna, but it's a complete FAIL. I don't even use mine anymore. I've opted instead, to just use a monoband 7" 800 MHz whip, and give up GPS/UHF1.

The thing is way too long, way too thick, completely inflexible (I'm not joking -- it's like a metal rod) and it performs worse on 800 MHz than the 7" 1/2 wave.

Motorola should've included GPS and Bluetooth in the APX for no additional cost (they did just that in the XPR7550!) and both BT/GPS antennas should've been built-in to the radio itself.

For those who haven't seen the brutal APX antenna before, here's a pic. Spectra button for size reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

syntrx No Longer Registered

And the VHF/UHF antenna is no better.

I mostly use UHF so I have a Jedi whip on it 95% of the time, but I also carry a Visar VHF antenna around for when I need to transmit on VHF.

ars.ki5mc No Longer Registered

I will admit it's a baton turned into an antenna. I haven't snagged mine on anything yet, but I've only been using the APX 7000 handheld for a short time, and I work in a plain clothes division in my department. I can say it is hard to hide it under an outer garment.

Thanks

I use one of my APXs for ham and I have one for law enforcement, I work plains clothes and the antenna is a problem, when I first started using APXs for both work and play, I looked every where trying to find a stubby antenna, but none available, except for 800, in law enforcment we use 800 and VHF, so this stubby would not work, the way the radio carrier is made and the size of the antenna, it is always in the way, a smaller antenna would be a great addition to the APX family.....

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

Gotta love HPD! hahaah... i like motorola "We will be more than happy to sell you another 10000 antennas!" hahahahahahhaah

Thanks

This has been one of my biggest complaints with the APX portables for years now; the rigidity is the worst part, having the antenna digging into your ribs the whole time. I wouldn't mind the length if they were more flexible, but then I guess certain people could tie them in a knot, maybe that's why mother made them stiff?

So what makes these antennae so bulky, are the two bands stacked vertically or is it the GPS component that adds so much length/rigidity?
    Andrew

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

I haven't seen inside one of the clear ones but I'm guessing there is a PCB inside that mounts the GPS antenna and a preamplifier circuit.

Thanks

Years ago I snapped my astro saber in half getting out of a Vic to chase after some kids. I didnt like keeping the strap snapped over the radio and when I go out if the squad I caught the antenna right at its base on the bottom of the steering wheel and the radio snapped in half breaking the radio battery base plate.

Thanks

I admit the antennas suck especially for the UHF guys that got the dual band with VHF, not being used to long portable antennas.

I would add tho I love how the antenna screws into the radio and actually snugs up compared to the XTS where the guys fiddle with them constantly and they end up losing em.

Thanks

I bought one (V/800) for my VHF 2500 and if it wasn't so rigid it would be OK. I was expecting it to be about as flexible as my wideband VHF whip when I ordered it, but it isn't. I have noticed the reception to be about the same between the 2.

Thanks

I bought a VHF for the XPR and use it on my 5K I like it because its a little stiffer than the regular VHF . Its about 1/2 shorter.. The wideband and standard would get caught under my bunker coat

Thanks

I want a radio with no antenna so I can't be reached or talk to anyone lol. Seriously.....complain complain complain. I want the best available antenna that gives me the most range (oem) period.

Thanks

If the antenna was flexible, I'd be OK with it. But the big huge dildo design is unacceptable for many applications.

Thanks

Yarr, the laws of physics be a harsh mistress!!!!!!

Thanks

2012-12-12 20.30.11.jpg2012-12-12 20.34.14.jpgBit the bullet and hacked one up. I ordered the wrong one - this is UHF and 800. The two elements are bonded together at the base. Maybe they should make one like the regular whip with the other band just wrapped around - similar to how some vehicle FM antennas work. Would sure be easier.

Thanks

Y'all do realize that the antenna was the most complex part of the APX design process, right? You can't make an antenna radiate well on 2 bands, receive well on 3, and do so with performance above that of a dummy load, and expect it to be compact. Life's full of tradeoffs... this is one. If you want a flexible antenna, get a single-band antenna - or one of the new single-band+GPS versions. If you want dual band coverage, deal with the dildo.

Thanks

Hammie manufacturers make a whole lot of different dual/tri band antennas that work "good enough" - too bad Motorola didn't change sexes of the SMA connector - there'd be a LOT of good options then. (not top mention some great alternatives for mono-band hammie rigs)

Thanks

Public safety needs better than just good enough. My life and maybe your might just depend it!

Thanks

Well they're already buying an APX, so they've settled on "good enough"...

Quote Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
    Y'all do realize that the antenna was the most complex part of the APX design process, right? You can't make an antenna radiate well on 2 bands, receive well on 3, and do so with performance above that of a dummy load, and expect it to be compact. Life's full of tradeoffs... this is one. If you want a flexible antenna, get a single-band antenna - or one of the new single-band+GPS versions. If you want dual band coverage, deal with the dildo.
    Thales made their Liberty antenna do 136-174, 380-520, 700 and 800 and it is no taller than a standard whip and completely flexible. We tested them on various radios and there was a very minimal performance drop from single band antennas if there was any at all. Motorola screwed the pooch on this design.

Thales Antenna.JPG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XPR8300 View Post
    Thales made their Liberty antenna do 136-174, 380-520, 700 and 800 and it is no taller than a standard whip and completely flexible. We tested them on various radios and there was a very minimal performance drop from single band antennas if there was any at all. Motorola screwed the pooch on this design.

Thales Antenna.JPG
    Bend a APX antenna like that and it'll likely crack in half! Nice!

I'm not an engineer, so I'll leave the design to the people who went to school for years and years. But I do have a question: Is it not possible to integrate the GPS antenna INTO THE RADIO? My iPhone seems to work fine without a dildo sticking out the top (for GPS). It's only RX'ing GPS, not TX.

I dont think its the GPS part though. The APX 700/800/GPS antenna is not much different or inflexable than the XTS 700/800 antenna. The ball at the top is a little more flat, but overall its not nearly as bad as the APX antennas with VHF and UHF.