Thread: Tait Firmware Downgrade Oops

Thanks

Default Tait Firmware Downgrade Oops

I had a moment while downgrading one of my TP9400's. After downgrading the FPGA firmware, the radio has become unresponsive. I cannot place the radio in to any mode at all, normal, upgrade, even CCTM commands have nil response... but it still draws 100 milliamps from the battery when turned on.

The TP9300/9400 service manual is not detailed enough, but the TP9100 has more detail on where the FPGA and where its image is stored. In the TP9100 the FPGA image is stored on the serial flash memory. If the TP9400 has similar architecture, could an image be read from a good serial flash IC and burn to the radio that has the corrupt FPGA image serial flash? There is a 64MB serial flash IC, part number MX25U6435FZNI-10G on the RF board, this serial flash is external memory for the FPGA . It's in a 8-wson package so using an in-circuit probe won't be easy.

I intend to read the corrupt serial fash. Then read a good radio's serial flash. Make a file comparison. If they look similar, burn the good serials dump to the bad serial.

If this is not the right path to take, a new RF board will need to be purchased.

I'm wondering if anyone has been down this road before.. any suggestions/input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by triptolemus; Apr 21, 2020 at 12:14 AM. Reason: removed font color

Thanks

When I f'ed my TP9400 with a bad firmware file, this is what I did. Maybe yours is bricked in a different way than mine, but worth a try...

Go to the firmware tool, select the Force Replacement check box, select Upgrade, then select a TP9400 (02.07.00 preferably) .ttfp file. Then, while it attempts to communicate with the radio, remove and replace the battery as fast as possible. It will eventually go into upgrade mode. It took me five attempts before this worked but it did work. The best way to do it is to click the OK button then put the battery on the radio at almost the same time.

You'll need to restore the calibration data (hope you backed it up) and a blank codeplug, otherwise the radio will throw up an Invalid Chassis ID 00 error

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AD0JA For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Apr 20, 2020),Technoweenie (4 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Any update on this topic? I have a TP9435K that I am using and i just upgraded the firmware to v2.16. If I can be of any help please let me know