Thread: Syntor X9000 / Astro Spectra microphone switch

Thanks

Default Syntor X9000 / Astro Spectra microphone switch

Hey all,

I'm looking to do a mobile install of a VHF low Syntor x9000 and a VHF Hi Astro Spectra and I'd like to have a single microphone shared by both radios. I've seen this done on the later RJ-45 type mics, has anyone done this with the System 9000 radios?

I'm thinking a DPDT switch on the PTT and GND lines would be my best option. Any reason this wouldn't work or would it cause any unexpected issues?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,865 Times in 944 Posts

I hardwired together a set of six 4PDT relays when my truck had six A9/W9 heads in it and a mix of Spectra and X9000 LB radios. You could do it with 3 poles if you don't need mic HUB, otherwise you need 4 poles. I used a wildcard DEK for the switching. You would need an On-Off-On 3 or 4 pole switch or you can just have 0n-none-on to go between the two radios. I paired the output of mine to an RJ45 biscuit block and used a standard RJ45 mic for the radio audio.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr_bitz View Post
    Hey all,

I'm looking to do a mobile install of a VHF low Syntor x9000 and a VHF Hi Astro Spectra and I'd like to have a single microphone shared by both radios. I've seen this done on the later RJ-45 type mics, has anyone done this with the System 9000 radios?

I'm thinking a DPDT switch on the PTT and GND lines would be my best option. Any reason this wouldn't work or would it cause any unexpected issues?

Thanks
    Inquiring minds want to know what you are doing for an antenna system on that X9000?

Thanks

Some interesting ideas there. I actually have a wildcard DEK floating around that I never put to use, that might not be a bad idea. Never considered bringing it to an RJ-45, that would also make life a million times easier to relocate the mic itslelf.

Any ideas on my best way to bring the mic connections off the control heads? I'd hate to butcher working mics for their cables.

Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know what you are doing for an antenna system on that X9000?
    Right now it's a single FireStik stake hole mount on my Silverado with an Opek VH-1220 6m/2m whip. I was looking at the Motorola dual antenna info and considered it but I'm not great at antenna systems - I don't know if the coil/mount/etc on this antenna would react similarly to the Motorola whips that the document describes.

I need to get myself an SWR meter and make my way through the whole truck with some copper braid - It seems like I can't talk down the street if the ignition is on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    I hardwired together a set of six 4PDT relays when my truck had six A9/W9 heads in it and a mix of Spectra and X9000 LB radios. You could do it with 3 poles if you don't need mic HUB, otherwise you need 4 poles. I used a wildcard DEK for the switching. You would need an On-Off-On 3 or 4 pole switch or you can just have 0n-none-on to go between the two radios. I paired the output of mine to an RJ45 biscuit block and used a standard RJ45 mic for the radio audio.
    Which pins are you switching with the 3 poles? Definitely PTT, Mic Hi and Mic Lo also?

Thanks

Which pins are you switching with the 3 poles? Definitely PTT, Mic Hi and Mic Lo also?
    Pretty sure it was as you suggested. It was easy to emperically figure out.

Thanks

Right now it's a single FireStik stake hole mount on my Silverado with an Opek VH-1220 6m/2m whip. I was looking at the Motorola dual antenna info and considered it but I'm not great at antenna systems - I don't know if the coil/mount/etc on this antenna would react similarly to the Motorola whips that the document describes.

I need to get myself an SWR meter and make my way through the whole truck with some copper braid - It seems like I can't talk down the street if the ignition is on.
    I am out shopping for a new vehicle and along with the usual stuff, would like to put a LB X9000 in but be able to do 10/6 plus some Part 90 itinerants in between. /\/\ never had a wide band antenna worked out. I have a couple ideas, but they require an autotuner.

Thanks

CHP had a microphone that had dual PTT buttons, top and bottom. One for the repeater the other for simplex. Or maybe it was old LAPD that had it. If you had something like that a relay could select the mike path. Though a DC blocking capacitor to the second radio might work as well.

Thanks

Motorola made some whip loading coils that add extended coverage to the whips. I used the dual LB steel whips with the offset harness and divergent tuning for a long time. But modern cars really don't take ball mounts so well....

Thanks

It was a radio that deserved an auto tune antenna. They could have at least provided serial data to run an outboard tuner. The best Motorola could come up with was a phasing harness instruction to install two narrow bandwidth whips. So I am thinking a screwdriver antenna with an autotuner. Or a firestick with a tuner. Problem with the whip tuners, they wont like the 100W FM while tuning.

Tell me about the loading coils..how much BW?

Thanks

CHP had a microphone that had dual PTT buttons, top and bottom. One for the repeater the other for simplex. Or maybe it was old LAPD that had it. If you had something like that a relay could select the mike path. Though a DC blocking capacitor to the second radio might work as well.

Yep! That was on the custom Micor radios CHP deployed in the late-1970s. Had a rocker switch for repeated and car-to-car.

CHPMike.JPG
    KMA 367

Living in a van, down by the Little River in Alabama
    Thanks

It's a bat-paddle over a switch. They used the HUB line for the second PTT. It's unfortunate those mics are relatively rare today and weren't made in all the various combinations like DTMF, backlit DTMF, weather-proof, etc.

Thanks

Washington State Patrol did just this using a X9000 as the main radio, with. Spectra radio as their home "Area" freq. The dual rocker mic was used to key up either the selected channel in the X9000 or the home channel. The home channel was simply programmed as the talkaround freq in the X9000. This required two speakers, special firmware and cabling. The Spectra drawer antenna plugged into the X9000 via mini UHF connector. The X9000 had custom antenna relay inside. The X9000 did require special software to program. The head was custom firmware as well, while the Spectra was just used for RX, and was missing the PA. They were programmed with normal RSS. Still have one boxed up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Basincom For This Useful Post:

ndp (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

I remember those WSP radios.
    Was a very cool system.
    It replaced the MASTR II dual RX radio that worked much the same way.
    You don't see special products like that too much anymore.

Thanks

I remember those MASTR II radios as well. It was a huge jump in technology, going from those to the Motorola setups.