Thread: Unication's "scanner" firmware beta

Thanks

Default Unication's "scanner" firmware beta

Anyone with more info?

G5 that I have is still working great, but a NUIS or DEL functionality would be a great add, which is apparently in the beta?

Thanks

Yes, I have been running the Beta Firmware since it's original "public" release. It definitely still has some work that needs to be done, but in addition to being able to scan between multiple functions there is now a "Blok" (Nuisance Delete) and "Hold" (Park on active talkgroup). If there are any questions you have feel free to ask and I will try to do my best to answer them.

As much as I hate to post an RR link, there are some documents this poster made that go over some of the other features pretty well. https://forums.radioreference.com/th...9/post-3301305

3. The Following User Says Thank You to crazyboy For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (May 13, 2020)

Thanks

I dont use Unication and know very little about them but its too much trouble to get the firmware from their site. I was thinking of adding it to my files but its not a priority. The scan feature does sound interesting though.

Thanks

Blok and hold is on the upcoming public safety release V1.3

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flippin1 For This Useful Post:

crazyboy (May 12, 2020),rvacsystems (May 29, 2020)

Thanks

I think I saw the link previously, but I'll check it out for sure.

I like Unication in general, but they've been a bit of an odd duck, but I'm hoping this new firmware signals that they've got some staff in the US (Unication is Taiwanese, if I recall right) and they're willing to listen to user input a bit more.

Agreed overall that the whole firmware process is a bit weird. I suspect it's a combination of some programming choices made by Unication some time back (painting themselves into a corner) plus some cultural issues regarding feature updates in general.

Do not like the idea of having to "donate" a PPS file to be part of the beta, that's not something that sits well. Plus the fact that you can't go back if you update - or at least that's what's stated. That's a hell of a commitment if true.

Good hardware overall though, but again some weird choices here, like the antenna system used in multi-band G5s. I can look past that though.

Thanks

I do recall hearing Blok & Hold will be in the next firmware release, but the other trunking scan features will not be released then and may be an additional fee once they are ready for release. The original Beta did not have to donate a PPS file, and I probably would have refrained from the Beta if it was a requirement them as it is shady. They do have some US based staff, but majority of the development and technical stuff seems to still be occurring in Taiwan, but it does seem they are listening to desires from users. I can say the developers are actively involved in Beta discussions and requesting logs of any errors. Can't argue that there are definitely some oddities.

Thanks

Its supplying a PPS file that stopped me. I dont have one. I agree with crazyboy having to provide a codeplug containing your systems doesnt sound too good. I can see they would like a library of user codeplugs for development and real world configurations. If they need them then why not ask for donated codeplugs. The the information in them could be sanitized if the donor wanted to keep specifics confidential.

off topic but relevent. We were working on a Kenwood radio for potential use. To be able to program it Kenwood strongly suggested a existing codeplug 'complete with TGs and site information' be provided. That was not going to happen. This sounds similar. Maybe im just paranoid.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Notarola For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (May 14, 2020),crazyboy (May 13, 2020)

Thanks

I just wish someone would give Uniden a run for their money. I would like a professional way to monitor a trunked radio system in my truck in a "open mode" that I can monitor all TGs on the site.
    Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

Thanks

You want a professional way you have to pay a professional price. The Relm/BK KNG radios do great on P25 trunk systems, require no system key and never transmit. You can even load encryption keys. Lots of Media have been going that way vs scanners

13. The Following User Says Thank You to radioinstl For This Useful Post:

Gtaman (May 13, 2020)

Thanks

I'm willing to pay. I don't think the Relm can do what I want though. Basically I want to scan all TGs on a site like a scanner would do.

Currently I have a BCD536HP scanner with GPS. As I roam through the State, it picks the closest tower and all TGs on that site are active.
    Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

Thanks

Maybe I'm not following correctly, but the Unication can "open monitor" a trunking site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerm View Post
    I'm willing to pay. I don't think the Relm can do what I want though. Basically I want to scan all TGs on a site like a scanner would do.

Currently I have a BCD536HP scanner with GPS. As I roam through the State, it picks the closest tower and all TGs on that site are active.
    You can scan all talkgroups on a site. AFAIK I have not tried it yet. But if you program a talkgroup as 0 it will pass all the site traffic.
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gtaman View Post
    You can scan all talkgroups on a site. AFAIK I have not tried it yet. But if you program a talkgroup as 0 it will pass all the site traffic.
    Actually, you can set a zone/channel receiving mode to Trunking TG-Monitor and that will pass all traffic from the site it is listening to. You do need to put at least one talk group in the talk group list but it will pass traffic from all talk groups on the site it is listening to. You can also put all the control channels from multiple sites into the system and once it loses one it will go to the next site it receives. Not "Roaming" per say but would allow you to park on a system and monitor as you drive around.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to crazyboy For This Useful Post:

Gtaman (May 14, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 613 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by radioinstl View Post
    You want a professional way you have to pay a professional price. The Relm/BK KNG radios do great on P25 trunk systems, require no system key and never transmit. You can even load encryption keys. Lots of Media have been going that way vs scanners
    That's what I concluded after running a G5 through it's paces. The interface was slow, there was a lag changing channels when rotating the knob, the knob had only 8 positions, etc. etc. It was a fine toy, but doesn't stack up to a real radio, so I sold mine and use an APX instead because I need Phase 2 for some systems. Even an XTS performs better IMHO if you can live without TDMA. And yes, it's easier when you don't need a system key, but, like you say, the BK Relm KNG radios give you that capability.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (May 14, 2020),crazyboy (May 14, 2020),PSEhub (May 15, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crazyboy View Post
    Maybe I'm not following correctly, but the Unication can "open monitor" a trunking site.
    Yes, it can. I was referring to the post above mine about the Relm stuff.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to tuckerm For This Useful Post:

crazyboy (May 15, 2020)

Thanks

Here it is, why you don't submit your PPS file for the beta.

https://forums.radioreference.com/th...0/post-3308949

Thanks

Nothing like handing your complete system parameters out. Im not surprised at this.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Notarola For This Useful Post:

crazyboy (May 22, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    Nothing like handing your complete system parameters out. Im not surprised at this.
    Your system parameters are already on Radio Reference. All the scanner manufacturers use RR info for programming. Yes, this does make it easier for the pager users but it is nothing secret.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Flippin1 For This Useful Post:

corepublicsafety (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

Duplicate post

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin1 View Post
    Your system parameters are already on Radio Reference. All the scanner manufacturers use RR info for programming. Yes, this does make it easier for the pager users but it is nothing secret.
    If you think that RR is accurate or that all the information in on there, you have a lot to learn on this site

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radioinstl For This Useful Post:

crazyboy (May 28, 2020),roboshark28 (Jun 26, 2020)

Thanks

Great information.

Hey @radioinstl - what do you mean by the Relm not needing a "System Key"?
    And I guess you would need to purchase the 1) KNG Radio 2)Software 3) KVL Keyloader.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip about RR, radioinstl Time for me to go cull out the dead wood.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to W2KDM For This Useful Post:

roboshark28 (Jun 26, 2020)