Thread: R2670 Comm Monitor

Thanks

Cool R2670 Comm Monitor

Needed one for hobby bench and ran across deal I couldn't resist. Cut teeth on an IFR 1000S and was looking for a 1200 when this popped up on radar. UPS has out for delivery today. Are there any tests I might be able to run to be sure it is within tolerance and working properly? I haven't used a Motorola monitor since a R2002 in first shop I was in. Am told this might be a little temperature finicky and will ask for a self cal. I'll be running external 10 MHz reference so I feel that should keep me on frequency (GPSDO). This is for hobby/amateur radio purposes only so nothing critical other than OCD for accuracy.

Any tips are appreciated. I may wish to send out for a calibration so will be looking for the folks that do that, also looking for a operations manual as well as service manual. Eye issue so needing big print and LOTS of pictures.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks

Tapiot,

Without access to calibrated laboratory grade instruments of know calibration there is little you'll be able to do aside from performing a thorough operational checkout verify general operation functionality. However, you can measure your GPSDO to determine how close the internal time base to being in calibration. You can also compare an RF power measurement of a radio on a couple of different bands of interest to you against a Bird wattmeter or similar quality power meter. And you may be able to check the deviation measurement accuracy of you have the means to generate an FM signal of know frequency using the Bessel method to setup a know level of deviation to check your service monitor against.

Good luck with with you new acquisition!

Bill

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MotoBill For This Useful Post:

tapiot (May 13, 2020)

Thanks

thanks for the response. Was just introduced to the Bessel method last weekend, I'd never seen it before. Unit has been well cared for. I have one of the DG8SAQ VNWAs that I can use as a sig gen (using the GPDSO for reference) and see how close this matches. Looking forward to pretty much completed my hobby bench now but I am looking for a higher range spectrum analyzer. Coming out of an SHF background, a 1500 MHz Rigol doesn't cut it.

Thanks for the response, what is the antenna drawing...always raises my attention when I see a "spark gap". When I was stationed in Guam I toured a big SW broadcast station. They had a nice spark gap that when the humidity got really high, was known to "snap" and wake up the operators. They were nice enough to offer me a trip to the top of their curtain dipole arrays but I deferred.....and now definitely I like me feet on the ground.

Thanks

When I was a kid, a buddy of mine and I actually built spark transmitters from automotive ignition coils that put out some nasty spark energy. We used them a short time to communicate via CW (Morse Code) a few blocks apart until the neighbors started complaining about the AM radio and TV interference! : )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StacyPoli View Post
    Hello..as per my knowledge at the beginner level the Motorola R-2670 is a unique computerized equipment stage that permits altered set up to incorporate a wide range of test highlights in one advantageous and simple to utilize the unit. The R-2670 highlights specific, committed, simple to-get to test screens that are helpfully gathered to assist test set-up. The R-2670 acknowledges either customer or test key codes for encryption testing.
    Ahhh..... whut? Pretty sure he knows what it's for and what it does.

Thanks

That read like marketing speak. Was a Bot involved?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

ndp (1 Week Ago)

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    That read like marketing speak. Was a Bot involved?
    Taken directly from Motorola's literature.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cyrus For This Useful Post:

Mars (1 Week Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 599 Posts

StacyPoli was a spammer who got through the registration process. His account has been deleted and the registration process will be tightened up.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

box (1 Week Ago),com501 (1 Week Ago),Forts (1 Week Ago),ndp (1 Week Ago)