Thread: Unable to read radio after firmware upgrade

smorris281 No Longer Registered

Default Unable to read radio after firmware upgrade

After I installed the new F/W into my XPR6500, and wrote once, now I can not read or write to the radio. No communication at all. i keep getting an error message that says 1687 Unable to detect applicable devices. I'm scratching my head. i uninstalled the CPS and reinstalled it and even did a system restore to see what that would do. Ran just fine before the F/W upgrade to R1/9/10.

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

This is probaby not the right place to debug failed upgrades but my guess is that (a) the radio is appearing now under Win 7 > Control Panel > Device Manager > Modems instead of Win 7 > Control Panel > Device Manager > Port (COM & LPT) if in Modems the CPS usually can't see it or (b) your're not using the matching CPS (8.0 or better)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Astro Spectra View Post
    This is probaby not the right place to debug failed upgrades but my guess is that (a) the radio is appearing now under Win 7 > Control Panel > Device Manager > Modems instead of Win 7 > Control Panel > Device Manager > Port (COM & LPT) if in Modems the CPS usually can't see it or (b) your're not using the matching CPS (8.0 or better)?
    You're right, it isn't. That thread was listing firmware files and is not for troubleshooting or support. If you think you need to start a new thread or it is being posted in the wrong forum, you probably should and it probably is.

Sorry about that guys. I am running version 8 of the CPS. The radio does not appear in those location listed above.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Does the radio otherwise work OK?

The radio works just fine. I just can't read or write with the CPS.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

If the radio works fine then it's very unlikely that the firmware load is damaged otherwise you'd get a checksum error at boot.

More likely is a USB enumeration or driver problem. Try a different USB port. Don't plug the radio in until CPS has started.

I just installed the CPS(8.0) on my dell notebook also running windows 7. I get the same message. Error 1687. It can't be a USB or connection issue. i am using a brand new OEM cable. I could read/write before the firmware update, but now I am unable. I don't think its firmware issue, but that's the onbly thing that has changed.

Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

Steve:

Check the firmware thread. I posted new firmware (again) yesterday. Moto just did another release.

As for CPS, 8.0 is no longer the latest version. 8.5 is current. You may wish to try upgrading.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

If he can get the radio to talk enough to do the subsequent upgrade. I am thinking if it's still dead, that maybe a static-protection diode got blown on the data lines after the first upgrade, maybe. That would account for everything working but programming, and I really hope that's not the problem, because I'm sure it won't be an easy fix if that's it.

Thanks

What version of firmware did you write to the radio?

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

At this point the best thing would be to get someone else to try reading the radio in order to isolate the issue to either your programming set-up or the radio.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

I conversed with the OP via email. He has updated his CPS to 8.5, and that did not fix the problem. We suspect it *might* be a bad programming cable as he's using an aftermarket one. If that's not the problem, he may get a new radio.

I sure hope he didn't fry his radio with an aftermarket cable or by static zap. It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened. I fried a XTL5000 by KVLing it a few years ago...all Moto-original equipment. Low humidity + different ground potential = zaaaaaaaaaaap

Thanks

I seen that issue many times after upgrading to firmware that you can`t read and write radio any more.We had to sent to Motorola many radio like that to be fixed.