Thread: Is The Motorola Minitor VI The Gold Standard Of Fire Pagers Currently?

Thanks

Default Is The Motorola Minitor VI The Gold Standard Of Fire Pagers Currently?

As posted above, is the Motorola MINITOR VI sort of the "gold standard" or fire pagers today? If not, what others are good, solid competitors these days?

Thanks

Unication G Series is the major competition. The minitor VI is analog only whereas the Unication depending on the model will do P25, FDMA/TDMA and DMR. A lot more functionality but I believe a higher price point.

Seth

Thanks

Default Is The Motorola Minitor VI The Gold Standard Of Fire Pagers Currently?

That is pretty much what I assume, but you know what happens when you assume.

With regards to paging on an analog, conventional frequency, do you know how many pairs of Two-tones the Minitors will do vs. Unications?

Also, some suggested recently that the Unications have difficulty with multiple sets of tones, but I am still trying to find out more about that.

Thanks

The main comments I'm getting from the guys migrating from Minitors to the Unication G series is larger physical size, shorter battery life, and a latent user interface.
    There have been reports of the software freezing up / locking up and unresponsive to the "power" knob (which is really a standby/sleep knob) requiring a battery pull to reset, which is a Phillips screwdriver exercise.
    On P25 trunking I've had a couple units now lose their site control channel and fail to scan another whitelisted adjacent site, or re-acquire the control channel of the site it was on (out of range condition) until hard power cycled as well.
    Because of that I've had to look into whether there's a multi-button press to invoke a device reset without a battery pull.

In a way someone should make a non-display, 3 button and 1- or 2-knob model like the Minitors, but still offer trunking/digital mode/encryption/in-band vocoded 2-tone support - and slowly evolve the G series to cater to the scanner/hear it all/replay it all market, the tow trucks and siren chaser market, which seems to be where it is most liked in its current form.
    Stability is key. Less frills, more reliability. It's an appliance device. If it's gotta have a screen, put a small monochrome OLED on top to scroll 10 characters. There is no need for a full graphical display unless the department wants to push out a copy of the CAD - and even then, the text messaging on the G series is a proprietary format that only works with Unication's own solution or the Prism system.

Yes, trunking paging can be messy (especially if you have to deal with sites that only accept dynamic affiliations), but there are often applications where departments don't want to, or can no longer afford to support their legacy analog system just for paging while at the same time investing in a newer technology for operations and scene communications.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TRENT310 For This Useful Post:

ndp (Jun 22, 2020)

Thanks

Most departments I program for use the G1 dumbed down. I keep it as simple as possible and lock out any changeable options on the pager. One major positive is water resistant rating which has saved multiple pagers whether from the pool or salt water. Also the sensitity of the G1 out performs the VI by a long shot.

Thanks

My shop sells more Minitor than Unication. Most of the departments wanted it due to it being less flashy so it might not get stolen as often if left somewhere
    "Thank you for donating to the Metro-State Foundation of dumb***"
    -Turdy Dewitte

8. The Following User Says Thank You to roboshark28 For This Useful Post:

ndp (Jun 22, 2020)