Thread: Motorola DTR Radios Programming

Thanks

Default Motorola DTR Radios Programming

Hi all,

I looked around this forum, but didn't see any threads concerning this, so I'll apologize ahead of time if there is one, and I missed it.

I recently acquired a couple of Motorola DTR radios to play around with. One is a DTR 410, the other is a DTR 650. I downloaded the CPS from the Motorola website (free download). I have an OEM programming cable for iDen radios with the "Falcon" connector (to my knowledge, the last accessory connector developed for iDen handsets). This is the same connector as on the DTR radios, and each radio acknowledges the cable being plugged in, and the computer assigns it as COM 3. However, the CPS won't communicate with the radios. Am I missing something, or is this cable somehow not compatible with these radios?

Thanks

I can't personally speak about the CPS, because I didn't bother to use it as I have the detachable keypad which is IMHO probably easier to use...
    [And also the fact that my DTR is the 2.4GHz Euro version; to the best of my experiments the standard CPS doesn't work with it, and there's no special CPS for it.]

But if you want to know eveything about the DTR serie, this site is a good start !

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com/foru...ssional-Radios

You will probably find your answer there.
    Last edited by RadioSkaf; 3 Days Ago at 03:09 PM. Reason: typo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RadioSkaf For This Useful Post:

river-valley-comm (3 Days Ago)

Thanks

Default Motorola DTR Radios Programming

Quote Originally Posted by river-valley-comm View Post
    I have an OEM programming cable for iDen radios with the "Falcon" connector (to my knowledge, the last accessory connector developed for iDen handsets). This is the same connector as on the DTR radios, and each radio acknowledges the cable being plugged in, and the computer assigns it as COM 3. However, the CPS won't communicate with the radios. Am I missing something, or is this cable somehow not compatible with these radios?
    I had a couple of those DTRs. You might even see a post or two from me on the other website. The behavior you describe sounds exactly like what I experienced. I had a cable. I thought it was a programming cable, since it had the correct connector and my computer "saw" it. If I recall correctly, my cable ended up being the one that Motorola sent out years ago to do some sort of GPS upgrade. However, it wouldn't do what I wanted it to do, which was programming! The actual programming cable is/was over the top expensive, if I recall correctly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim1348 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I echo RadioSkaf's advice re the Checkcheckonetwo site. I have 4 DTR650 radios that I was able to upgrade with firmware found on the site. There are 2 cables required; a programming cable and a flash upgrade cable. These are hard to find nowadays, there are instructions on the site for building your own.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Abmain For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you all! I was afraid that would be the case with the cable. Can't say I'm surprised, though, as this isn't the first time Motorola has made a cable for one radio that looks like it should work for another - but doesn't. Also, thank you for the info about that site. I've only begun to delve into their forums, but it looks like a wealth of information about the DTR's that seems eerily absent from the rest of the Internet. As for the EU model(s) of the DTR series, I wondered if Motorola had a non-900 product for those markets (as 900MHz is typically part of a GSM band in most of the world). It would be interesting to get my hand on a set of those and compare them in a side-by-side test with the 900MHz models (I don't imagine they would fare as well outside, as 2.4GHz typically doesn't carry as far as 900MHz, but they might perform better inside). Again, thank you all who replied!

Thanks

Just some complementary informations about the Euro version of the DTR :

To the best of my knowledge, Motorola quickly lost interest in the EU version; as such we never had the things later implemented in the 900MHz version.
    That means, no revisions, no new firmware/features, no CPS, etc
    There's only 2 models, the "Standard" 2430 and the "Manager" 2450.

Be warned that the 2.4GHz version only has a tiny 100mW RF output, compared to 1W for the US model. Performances are what you might expect for such RF power...
    Your best bet to buy an Euro set nowadays would probably be eBay UK, as they are long discontinued.
    [Frankly, I think this model wasn't very successful (in France at least) partly because of that limited power output]