Thread: Tait Warranty repairs - Always marked "No Fault Found"?

Thanks

Default Tait Warranty repairs - Always marked "No Fault Found"?

Late last year, we installed a few TB9400 repeaters, and after a "few" teething issues (They dont do TRC, fyi) we got them in using DFSI instead of TRC and they were great!
    And then one shit the bed about two months ago. Took another up to the site, swapped it, brought it back, and put it on the bench.
    TxR Synthesizer Out of Lock. Hard fault; it wasnt a I'd have to wait x amount of time for it to fail, it was as soon as it came up, it was in Alarm for TxR OOL.
    Pulled the reciter out of the thing, shipped it to Tait.
    Came back, work sheet said that Tait put the reciter on the bench, and it tested OK. They opened it and inspected it, found nothing wrong put it back together and shipped it back to me.

Of course here I am getting this reciter back that they said they couldnt find any issue, and Im supposed to just take this POS back up the hill and cross my fingers nothing is wrong?
    So I built a timer that would basically deadkey it into a dummy load every so often to stress it. Its set for 35 seconds keyed, 25 seconds unkeyed, then its starts over again. Its been doing that for...2 or 3 weeks at this point. Hasnt failed once.
    So, at this point Im convinced that they fixed something, and just marked it NFF for....?
    Ive heard from some other people that this is a theme with them. Something is broken, send it back to Tait for repair, comes back NFF but magically is fixed and works fine after.
    Has anybody else experienced similar?
    So I guess I just have to take it back up the hill and tell the customer there was nothing wrong with it? The site was down for half a day because it was broke, but nothing is wrong with it. Just trust me, I guess?
    Yeah. Total confidence in this. /s

Astro Spectra is offline T¹ ĘS Ų - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

There was a thread a while back about some TB9xxx I2C errors. Worth a search.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 488 Posts

Temp sensitive reciters going OOL returning NTF from Tait depot is a familiar thing for me. The depot couldn't recreate the fault, but the reciter would fail shortly after going back into service. So, at least I had those logs to prove the failure eventually getting a replacement reciter out of them after three trips to TX.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Thanks

My biggest complaint on NFF returned repairs is that they fixed something but dont want to tell you so you cant look for that issue in future failures. Moto is real bad for that. They have a known issue and rather than tell you about it they either deny there is an issue. The "your the only one with the fault" attitude. of fix it and say its all in your head. I always go over returned hardware looking for the work done. I never pass up an opportunity to learn. Or finally the repair is somehow 'proprietary' and they dont want anyone to know whats up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    My biggest complaint on NFF returned repairs is that they fixed something but dont want to tell you so you cant look for that issue in future failures. Moto is real bad for that. They have a known issue and rather than tell you about it they either deny there is an issue. The "your the only one with the fault" attitude. of fix it and say its all in your head. I always go over returned hardware looking for the work done. I never pass up an opportunity to learn. Or finally the repair is somehow 'proprietary' and they dont want anyone to know whats up.
    God forbid that a technician in the field could self repair. Better business model for /\/\ etc,. to keep all that knowledge and parts at home planet. That way the product and its FRU can be EOL at depot and you need to buy next year$ model today.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

Notarola (Jul 01, 2020)

Thanks

Kenwood is opposite, we had quite a few early hardware rev NX-3300s with super low tx power, and their 3rd party service center did board and part level repairs with close to a DOZEN listed parts on the paper work that came back.

Motorola would have been "Board/Unit Replaced" with a "DUETO Failure unit must be reprogrammed" (a Dueto is when a ventriloquist sings a duet by themselves with the 2nd voice in falsetto in case you were wondering)

I guess Tait would be "NFF"

Thanks

RFI: The case I was thinking of was a few years ago where the issue turned out to be insufficient solder on some of the BGA pads in the middle of the IC. But you are right Ill have to learn how to use a DVM. I think the black lead goes to the chassis but I get confused when there are several grounds on the board. It would probably be best to join them all and then connect the black lead to that point.

FYI: Membership dont do that it wont end well.
    Last edited by Notarola; Jul 02, 2020 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks

In the CATV world we send transmitters and motherboards to be repaired just for them to come back very clean and in bubble wrap with a “Not Repairable” sticker on them. To the dumpster they go.
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.