Thread: Zello Gateway Issue

EM36 is offline BDA Wizard
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Default Zello Gateway Issue

I setup this zellowork gateway about a year ago, originally on a windows 7 machine, which then got wiped and upgraded to a Win 10 machine. This problem has existed since day one.... even after wiping the laptop and re-installing the gateway the problem remains.

Normally the gateway talks out on the gateway channel like it should. Occasionally (totally intermittent timing) the gateway stops sending traffic. The radio continues to receive. This i'm positive of, because if I make myself a "direct contact" of the gateway I don't lose any audio. EVER. But then I'm unable to use the disconnect button next to the gateway channel and have to stop or start the entire app by going available or unavailable which defeats the ability to have multiple channels or have any private conversations because you are constantly interrupted by the gateway audio while trying to talk to someone privately. The gateway disconnect does absolutely nothing when you make it a direct contact. But I have verified numerous times that I'm not losing any audio in direct contact mode.

Since Zello won't answer any tech support questions without their $1500 fee I figured I'd ask here if anyone ever ran across something like this, in the hope that I can fix this. I've been through the setup of this multiple times without anything changing or anything being found as the culprit. It's been re-installed from scratch on the windows os update also and no change.

What could I possibly have wrong? I'm ok with missing the audio intermittently, but have recently added some of my local chiefs to this and would love to be able to fix this. It's not a settings issue that I'm aware of, it's not a question of the vox tripping or not, no matter what if I make myself a direct contact to the gateway it's there 100% but it shows sometimes that the gateway channel hasn't received anything in say 30 minutes or 5 minutes etc. The audio is shown in the app as coming out of the contact only not the gateway when direct contact is set on.
    Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree SIR Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree PLEASE!

Sarjint I'm asking...no I'm DEMANDING a Lieutenant....Or a supervisor that outranks him....J Dewitte.

Thanks

Not really a Zello fan or user. But I would start by looking at the Windows Event Logs to see if you have something failing ..

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Found some stuff about skype having issues (didn't know it was on there) and also some windows defender stuff but that's it. Don't think either is the issue. Going to have to note time next and look closer.
    Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree SIR Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree PLEASE!

Sarjint I'm asking...no I'm DEMANDING a Lieutenant....Or a supervisor that outranks him....J Dewitte.

Thanks

I am having this happen on my test setup that is in a burn in phase. I believe it has something to do with the network. Mine is just running off of WIFI right now and whenever that AP drops for maintenance, the issue seems to start. When I get time, I'm going to hardwire CAT6 to it and see if that rectifies the issue.
    Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

What is weird is I can look at the display of the app on my phone and watch it happen, If I make myself a direct contact of Zello Gateway I don't miss anything but you can see sometimes it streams from Zello Gateway and sometimes from the Zello Gateway contact. As said previously the enable /disable buttons stop working also. You can press disable on the zello Gateway channel but it doesn't stop streaming from there. I have my network set for tcp only as I saw issues of it not streaming if I used udp.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I should also mention that this is hard wired into the network and it does it both wired and unwired.

Astro Spectra is online now T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Zello Free is simply not designed to do what you're trying to do. The free version was offered as the beta test bed for the product sold as Zello Work. It's free so little effort is put into reliability engineering, yes obvious bugs are fixed as these go to brand reputation but making things reliable over the Internet is another whole level. Most consumer grade Internet access isn't very reliable anyway.

Zillo Work has a LMR interface that I understand from a user works reliably and performs well. You can read about other differences between the Free and Work variants here here:

https://support.zello.com/hc/en-us/a...for-consumers-

There is no free lunch, only the idea of a free lunch is free...
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Astro Spectra For This Useful Post:

ndp (Jul 21, 2020)

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Astro Spectra View Post
    Zello Free is simply not designed to do what you're trying to do. The free version was offered as the beta test bed for the product sold as Zello Work. It's free so little effort is put into reliability engineering, yes obvious bugs are fixed as these go to brand reputation but making things reliable over the Internet is another whole level. Most consumer grade Internet access isn't very reliable anyway.

Zillo Work has a LMR interface that I understand from a user works reliably and performs well. You can read about other differences between the Free and Work variants here here:

https://support.zello.com/hc/en-us/a...for-consumers-

There is no free lunch, only the idea of a free lunch is free...
    If your talking to me then you are misinformed. This is a project Zeffir/Zellowork account.

Yes it's free

Astro Spectra is online now T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I'm sorry I didn't notice that you said Zello Work in your first post. The rest of my comments stand. Are you using the LMR gateway?
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Astro Spectra View Post
    I'm sorry I didn't notice that you said Zello Work in your first post. The rest of my comments stand. Are you using the LMR gateway?
    I might not have, no worries. Not sure what you mean by lmr gateway. It's the standard Zello gateway with a Cakewalk midi sound box pushing the audio to the pc.

Thanks

I have found my Zello seem to randomly log me out stopping everything.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Ran across this today: https://support.zellowork.com/hc/en-...eCast-Gateway-

"If the Gateway is not in any channels or connected to a direct contact, it will not be able to communicate with anyone."

So it's interesting they make a distinction between a channel or a direct contact. I'm starting ti think this is an app issue. If I make myself a direct contact I never miss any audio but the app flips between showing sending audio from the direct contact and the gateway. If I'm not a direct contact this is when the gateway is missing audio on the stream. I've now watched it happen and the gateway screen shows it inactive and not sending.