Thread: HAE4011A ANTENNA ROOF TOP 3.5DB UHF 450470 MHz ?

Thanks

Default HAE4011A ANTENNA ROOF TOP 3.5DB UHF 450470 MHz ?

HAE4011a.jpg

I found a couple NMO OEM Motorola antennas like the HAE4011A pictured in the far left, buried deep in my garage. There are three band variations. I think I have the 450470 MHz but cant remember why I have these antennas , or what band they would be. I also cannot find any specs on line including a cutting chart or length. It is also possible I have these antennas from back in 1980's so the nomenclature may have been much earlier part number.

Has anyone a cutting chart or physical specs? Even a part number that predates the HAE series?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    HAE4011a.jpg

Has anyone a cutting chart or physical specs? Even a part number that predates the HAE series?
    My 1971-1972 buyers guide shows 406-420 lower rod is 9 1/16", upper rod is 6 3/4".
    450-470 lower rod is 7", upper rod is 6 1/32".
    Both have the same loading coil. My guess is that the shorter antenna in your photo is a T band, 470-512, which didn't exist when this buyers guide was produced.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ppcradioman For This Useful Post:

RFI-EMI-GUY (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

UPDATE: My 1984-1985 buyers guide shows that the T band antennas are actually two separate splits, 470-494 and 494-512. Unfortunately, as time passed the buyers guides had less and less detail about the products, and the 84-85 guide gives no info at all about overall or rod length. With the info above and measuring the lengths of the rods on your antennas you may be able to create your own chart for what you have.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ppcradioman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quite baffling.

On mine:

The lower rod measures 6 1/8 inches, the exposed portion between the spring and the bottom of the coil.
    The upper rod measures 15 5/16 inches, the exposed portion from top of coil to top of the loop.

So this might be a totally different antenna altogether. Yet proportionally, it looks like the one pictured as HAE4011A.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 488 Posts

Those antennas were total money makers. They had the plastic top hat that inserted through a standard chrome nut to support the spring. The spring spun onto a threaded shaft through the center. On the NMO end was a spring loaded pin to contact the coax center. Though physically strong enough to take low speed garage ceiling clearance abuse, none of it was weatherproof. Water drove in under the spring, down the pin shaft, pooling on the center of the NMO to rot it out slowly over time. Guaranteed to generate a service call within a couple years of installation. Usually required a whole new coax kit and antenna. I learned to pack those with silicone grease, and with RTV through the pin shaft.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quite baffling.

On mine:

The lower rod measures 6 1/8 inches, the exposed portion between the spring and the bottom of the coil.
    The upper rod measures 15 5/16 inches, the exposed portion from top of coil to top of the loop.

So this might be a totally different antenna altogether. Yet proportionally, it looks like the one pictured as HAE4011A.
    Well, that is interesting..... the measurements I gave from the buyers guide are for the rods loose, not installed. There should be set screws in the "loading coil" to remove them. But the upper rod at over 15 inches makes no sense to me. The people that made them for /\/\ sold everything a few years ago and I doubt any records that old exist at this point. If it were me, I would just mount one on a nice roof top ground plane and connect my MFJ-269 antenna analyzer up and measure the freqs that produce a nice VSWR range.... have done that more than once to figure out the mystery antenna.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ppcradioman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_G View Post
    Guaranteed to generate a service call within a couple years of installation. Usually required a whole new coax kit and antenna. I learned to pack those with silicone grease, and with RTV through the pin shaft.
    As one that worked at the MSS, that is what the MSS existed for. Back then we were still doing annual F & D checks of the mobiles and generating more $$ was part of the plan as they were still mostly privately owned shops.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ppcradioman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ppcradioman View Post
    Well, that is interesting..... the measurements I gave from the buyers guide are for the rods loose, not installed. There should be set screws in the "loading coil" to remove them. But the upper rod at over 15 inches makes no sense to me. The people that made them for /\/\ sold everything a few years ago and I doubt any records that old exist at this point. If it were me, I would just mount one on a nice roof top ground plane and connect my MFJ-269 antenna analyzer up and measure the freqs that produce a nice VSWR range.... have done that more than once to figure out the mystery antenna.
    It would be reassuring, beyond a low VSWR, that the antenna actually radiates to the horizon. I suppose I can crudely measure all that. As I said, I have two, identical to each other. I think they sold under a different part number back in the stone age when these were obtained.

Do you have any idea who manufactured these?Maybe they have a catalog on line?

Thanks

Do you have any idea who manufactured these?Maybe they have a catalog on line?
    As I said in the previous post, the company that made them for /\/\ sold everything (EVERYTHING) a few years ago, maybe even six or seven years - . They are out of business. There is nothing left to look at on line. The name is being used by a Chinese company now unreated to anything about antennas. The antennas you have date back around 30-50 years, they stopped making those antennas about 25 years ago when /\/\ stopped selling antennas under their own brand and switched primarily to Maxrad. The best info is in the old collection of buyers guides that I have from when I worked at /\/\. The four part numbers I have from 1972 are TLE6211A, TLE6212A; TAE6071A, TAE6072A; numbers ending in 1 are the 406-420, numbers ending in 2 are the 450-470.

Clicks on the Thanks button for the effort would be appreciated.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ppcradioman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, those old part numbers look familiar. Even found one NOS for sale on eBay, maybe I can convince the seller to measure the rods,