Thread: Software phoning home to Motorola

Thanks
    Thanked 8,099 Times in 2,254 Posts

Default Software phoning home to Motorola

I recently installed MOTOTRBO System Design Tools. Upon firing it up, I noted on my Pi-Hole installation, it was phoning home to: licensing.motorolasolutions.com

The software asked me to register a name and email address, so I just put the local MSI sales ****'s name in there. After submitting, the application started without issues.

I encourage everyone to add licensing.motorolasolutions.com to their DNS blacklist, unless there's a need to access this domain for a legitimate purpose. I didn't give Motorola permission to use my network for any purpose. I'm sure they could say about me and their software, but I'm willing to give them free steaming peanuts in exchange.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

apco25 (1 Week Ago),Avery Johannssenn (3 Weeks Ago),boomboy64 (3 Weeks Ago),Forts (3 Weeks Ago),slim (2 Weeks Ago),TESTMODE (3 Weeks Ago),triptolemus (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I encourage everyone to add licensing.motorolasolutions.com to their DNS blacklist.
    What a horrible idea. First if you have any plans to go beyond R02.10.nn you will HAVE to be able to connect to recover the licensing / add the service status to the RM server..

More importantly, unless you are a one man shop, your adding to the future work of someone who will have to figure out why software package x doesn't work and hours of tracing and debugging looking for the reason / your blacklist entry.

The amount of Hysterical knowledge that has left shops and agencies is already scary today, why add to the problems of the future.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,099 Times in 2,254 Posts

Respectfully, did you not read what I wrote? I said I recommend blacklisting it unless there's a need for it. Please read my entire posting next time.

I'm not a fan of this online software bullshit. If a technician cannot run software stand alone, not connected to the internet, it's a piece of ******* shit. Motorola can go ******* die.

2.10 is a disaster. Contrary to what Motorola believes, it offers no benefit whatsoever for any customer that is not running Capacity Max. Not all of us drink the Kool-Aid. Not suggesting you do, just saying a majority of us have zero fucks to give about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I'm not a fan of this online software bullshit. If a technician cannot run software stand alone, not connected to the internet, it's a piece of ******* shit. Motorola can go ******* die.

2.10 is a disaster
    So as a SaaS provider I am in the middle on this one. There are just so many issues / problems we can protect our customers from with our SaaS solutions. But having been in the field since the early 70's and
    on many deployments where we couldn't find the road never mind an address or internet connection. I am not a real fan of the direction the industry is going from a subscriber point of view. Just saying that those
    coming up in the trade are lost enough already. An none of the manufacturers are helping.

R02.10.05+ is not to bad and has some important fixes under the covers, but M2020.01 is a complete an total disaster, and yes there is NOTHING there for non Cap Max systems, and even Cap Max users have very little reason to move forward for now..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to phonebuff For This Useful Post:

Mars (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

And this is generally why I run my Motorola software on an airgapped machine unless absolutely necessary...
    KMA367

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ndp For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (3 Weeks Ago),Mars (3 Weeks Ago),PSEhub (3 Weeks Ago),TESTMODE (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Kenwood offers Field Activation (completely offline) for all licensing. We treat programming computers as instruments/appliances, not workstations, and as they do not have restrictions in place, they are not connected to any network.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PSEhub For This Useful Post:

box (3 Weeks Ago),com501 (3 Weeks Ago),Mars (3 Weeks Ago),phonebuff (3 Weeks Ago),Radioguy7268 (3 Weeks Ago),triptolemus (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

With all the newer software from all kinds of manufacturers. I see no reason any of them should have access or need to have access to the net for any reason. If a feature needs to be activated or the firmware needs updating or editing whatever changes. This should be able to be accomplished off line with either a downloadable file or activation key. As the post above indicates Kenwood has implemented this.

This spying or relying on a suppliers server/cloud to use or keep your hardware current is unethical and invasive. I forsee a time where you cant do anything without the radio connected to the internet and subject to the whims of the manufacturer. "ohh we dont like that you have 25khz enabled".. " we have disabled your unit untill you comply with our 25khz rules" . This is not panic mongering cell providers do this all the time. Try loggin in to ***** with a rooted phone. Your APX/TRBO could be next. " we have detected an unauthorized personality in the codeplug. This unit has been disabled/the offending data has been removed/the unit is not registered with *** agency" etc etc etc.

phonebuff makes a good point about responsible use in responsible hands but in this case.

I agree with Mars 100% on this one. All CPS/Software should be internet blocked. Its no ones business when, how often or where I use the software I purchased. Adding in restrictions is total BS.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Notarola For This Useful Post:

box (3 Weeks Ago),com501 (3 Weeks Ago),Mars (3 Weeks Ago),PSEhub (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Not to mention what happens when you have connectivity issues at a remote location, or 5 years from now when Moto/whoever doesn't supply that licensing server any more and the CPS can't get a reply? Way too draconian for me too.

At my previous employer all our software required a Sentinel USB dongle to be able to run, however they have recently removed this and gone to cloud based licensing as well. It doesn't seem to be a bad setup though as after the initial verification it just needs to phone home once every 6 months, which is no issue for their tech laptops.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Forts For This Useful Post:

Mars (3 Weeks Ago)

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astro Spectra For This Useful Post:

com501 (3 Weeks Ago),Mars (3 Weeks Ago),SPECIAL_EYE (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

This quote from Futurama pretty much sums it up.
    Professor Farnsworth: Oh, my god! I clicked on something I didn’t read!
    Cubert Farnsworth: And I slightly modified something I own!
    User agreements are now so restrictive and give all authority and interpretation of the agreement to the manufacturer that you cannot now use the hardware as desired without technically violating some part of the agreement. If you own the hardware then why cant you modify it in any way you wish? The last comes with one restriction I do agree with.. YOU are responsible for what you did to the hardware (IE interference, unsafe conditions).

Thanks

Part of it is an attempt to curb piracy but mostly in my opinion is just to keep the revenue stream incoming.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ctruitt For This Useful Post:

Mars (2 Weeks Ago)