Thread: R2670 Adjustment Knob Fault

Thanks

Default R2670 Adjustment Knob Fault

I have an R2670 that I have had for several years. It has developed an intermittent problem where the knob "auto-spins," in that while moving the cursor through the areas of interest, the settings will change automatically, causing the parameters to change on their own. Just as an example, if the cursor is on RF Control and "Monitor" is highlighted and I need to move it to Mon RF In to change the setting from "Ant" to "RF In," as I move the cursor down and it highlights Preset, it will automatically select a preset, which changes all of the settings that I was using. Then it's like pulling teeth to get them set back correctly as each time I cycle through the other settings, they also will change. If I fight with the knob and spin it a few times, I can get it to stop, but the problem resurfaces shortly afterwards. Is this a known issue? Is there an easy fix? Can I still get parts and can I just replace the potentiometer? I'm assuming there is dust or debris on the pot and it is causing it to get confused and jump around. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems to have gotten worse since the last time I used it.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

Thanks

Yes, I have had this issue and it was discussed earlier on this forum. The knob is not balanced, due to the weight of the setscrews after the control gets loose from wear the knob itself will turn due to gravity. I first tried adding an O ring behind the knob to add drag, that proved unacceptable. After that I balanced the knob on my unit by adding some RTV (silicone sealant) to the inside web opposite the set screws until the knob would remain stationary on a drill bit held in a vice. Just like balancing a tire and wheel on a static balance. Problem solved.

Thanks

I see. I haven't noticed the actual knob spinning, but I will take a closer look. Thank you.