Thread: APX All Band Antenna Knock Off?

Thanks

Default APX All Band Antenna Knock Off?

Picked up a 7000 and it came with this antenna and just wondering if it's M original. It looks and feels legit but it has a blue SMA insulator, all my other APX antennas are white and I don't have another 8000 to compare it to. It also looks similar to some of the cheapos on the auction site. It measures just under 8" in length.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Usually the tell tale sign is the bat wing logo and the font if you have another legit APX antenna to compare it to.
    Technician [tek-nish-uh n] - A person who fixes shit you can't.

Thanks

V/U/7-8 GPS antennas that we are receiving from /\/\, have a blue insulator

Thanks

8KHXE_Antenna.jpeg

Legit 8K antenna pictured.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rola For This Useful Post:

KX5MOT (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Cool thanks! Looks legit then.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KX5MOT For This Useful Post:

Mars (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Another way to tell if your antenna is genuine is to look for signs of plastic rot. If you see some, it's 100% genuine Motorola.

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Rola For This Useful Post:

41TAC (2 Weeks Ago),Avery Johannssenn (2 Weeks Ago),EM36 (2 Weeks Ago),foxtrotdelta (2 Weeks Ago),gsxxr1300r (6 Days Ago),Gtaman (1 Week Ago),mot2way (2 Weeks Ago),mwb9122 (2 Weeks Ago),ndp (2 Weeks Ago),RFI-EMI-GUY (2 Weeks Ago),romanrobles (2 Weeks Ago),Victor Xray (2 Weeks Ago),Viper1-6 (2 Weeks Ago),wiredwrx (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

What does everyone think about the china ebay sellers now claiming their Motorola antennas are real "Genuine oem product but without the original packaging" some are showing white and blue insulators. Are these factory rejects or knockoff scams. Some claim OEM others claim unbranded. I can usually tell the knockoffs when they use dark red insulators on everything from VHF to 900. Looks like most are white or blue these days. Some have the wideband VHF that look fairly legit claiming OEM Motorola. Some have done the logo and lettering very well these days. I suppose its up to whoever is running the mold that day

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rola View Post
    Another way to tell if your antenna is genuine is to look for signs of plastic rot. If you see some, it's 100% genuine Motorola.
    We have seen a lot of this. I finally called them for support, sent pictures and offered to ship samples to them for analysis. After a few days of delay, the reply I received from their 'experts' was that this is caused by "excess humidity". I kid you not...

Thanks

On the topic of rubber "dust" on the OPs antenna logo leads to believe it is original. This has just happened over the past few months. Here are two antennas, these have never left my office and sat on a desk over the last 2 years. On the XPR unpackaged brand new in Dec 2018 fresh out of the box and wrapper. The rings look good because it had a colored rubber antenna ID band around it. The EX560 antenna, a heliflex ordered same month fresh from the bag from an authorized Motorola dealer @ 13 bucks a pop. I'm in upstate NY not close to any lake or river and the only way they've seen sunlight is thru a window to the West at sunset but they were never in direct sunlight. Interestingly I have a APX V/7-8 GPS whip thats been exposed to the elements still looking new

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mot2way For This Useful Post:

KX5MOT (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

Ive seen this a lot on the XPR3000/7000 antennas, however they clean up fine with a damp cloth

There was discussion in another thread about RSM cables, and some type of starch or powder

Im not convinced its the rubber, I think its just like the RSM cables