Thread: Astro 25 Portable Programming cable issue

Thanks

Question Astro 25 Portable Programming cable issue

So this is an issue with a non-oem programming cable, before you beat me up in the comments I know I should use just oem but I didnt feel like spending $300 for another cable.
    Its a built in FTDI USB to serial (aka no DB9). I got a replacement from the seller issue still persists.
    Every 5 or so reads/writes the radio will fail to go into programming mode and display a "floppy disk" icon in the top right of the display.
    Is anyone familiar with the issue? Com port setting perhaps?
    Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Have you checked to make sure it's on the correct com port? Personally I use a USB to serial, and then a RIBless serial programming cable and I have no issues
    "Thank you for donating to the Metro-State Foundation of dumb***"
    -Turdy Dewitte

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roboshark28 View Post
    Have you checked to make sure it's on the correct com port? Personally I use a USB to serial, and then a RIBless serial programming cable and I have no issues
    same here... IOGear232 adapter

Thanks

To clarify its one of these, and yes it is on the correct com port, and it is communicating but seems to get stuck (see the pic of the radio)
    Untitled.jpg
    shit1.png

Thanks

I have an aftermarket USB programming cable with FTDI chip for XTS-2500 and it gives me fits now and then. Sometimes it reads and writes ok, sometimes it stops mid stream on a download and the radio is a brick until I give it a few to 20 more attempts and then it finally loads a code plug. I finally got a cheap serial programming cable and use it with a laptop with actual serial port and it works flawless every time.

Thanks

With drivers make sure they are updated to the latest from the manufacturers site, not windows update or wherever else. Double check the COM port settings from Device Manager or default them if problems persist. See Advanced Port Settings there may be a need to adjust FIFO buffers. I also recommend serial cables with IOGear GUC232, this is the USB to Serial adapter recommended by Motorola. Ive done firmware upgrades using this adapter with no problems, using original Motorola cables of course

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mot2way For This Useful Post:

triptolemus (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Is that a BlueMax49ers cable? Something has happened to them lately, I used to recommend his cables to people who for whatever reason didn't want OEM, but noticed the last couple of
    cables the pins weren't set correctly and would wiggle out of alignment, causing the read or write operation to choke out and fail. Might want to check to make sure the pins are all seated and secure.

Thanks

Yes its a BlueMax. The pins are seated and work ok but some radios are very sensitive to it and fail most of the time. Other radios have no problems. A friend got a BlueMax cable after I did and it didn't work at all and the seller replaced it claiming his builder messed up a batch of cables recently.

Quote Originally Posted by marcotor View Post
    Is that a BlueMax49ers cable? Something has happened to them lately, I used to recommend his cables to people who for whatever reason didn't want OEM, but noticed the last couple of
    cables the pins weren't set correctly and would wiggle out of alignment, causing the read or write operation to choke out and fail. Might want to check to make sure the pins are all seated and secure.

Thanks

Yea I would ditch the direct USB cables all together. I've found that too many of them have issues with drivers, fake FTDI chips, bad assembly, broken solder joints...... etc. FOr some reason the serial ones are just made better. This is the one I have, and it works perfectly:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    "Thank you for donating to the Metro-State Foundation of dumb***"
    -Turdy Dewitte

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roboshark28 View Post
    Yea I would ditch the direct USB cables all together. I've found that too many of them have issues with drivers, fake FTDI chips, bad assembly, broken solder joints...... etc. FOr some reason the serial ones are just made better. This is the one I have, and it works perfectly:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Ya I might just have to agree with you on the fact that serial ones are better, I have a serial one with a USB to DB9 and its worked for years with no issues (knock on wood.) The only reason I started looking for another is for a programming "kit"

So I do also have kind of an update, after asking around some pretty troll infested areas it sounds like that "floppy disk" looking icon on the screen is for PPP Link Establishment.

I am still working with the seller to help him resolve this issue and will try to keep this up to date. Thanks all for the help so far!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 959 Posts

With the amount of counterfeit and just plain sloppy work coming out of the PRC lately, I still opt for the uber expensive Motorola cables. They just work better. That being said, a reliable serial cable trumps every USB cable I have ever used. Yes, it is slower, but the tortoise DID win the race!!
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

13. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

roboshark28 (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

I purchased a new serial cable the RKN4106 programming/test cable when I purchased my first XTS5000 a while back, there was NO WAY I was going to use a 20 dollar chin cable on an XTS I dropped 500+ bucks on, at the time, which could turn into a paperweight with one mouse click. It was an excellent purchase, having more radios these days I have security in knowing I've got the quality cable for the job, especially these days doing firmware upgrades that take 5 minutes, that's more than enough time for something to go wrong and with my luck it will.
    They're not that expensive these days unless you buy them from a shop at list price. They've been around $100 bucks on ebay for a while now new in the box

Thanks

Had a similar issue, was bad plug on the computer
    Blumaxx cables always worked well for me, have about 10 of them