Thread: When is flat rate repair not flat rate?

Thanks

Default When is flat rate repair not flat rate?

When you send a radio to Motorola.

$560 flat rate repair is listed for XE model radios. But if you send them a radio with a cracked case piece or broken battery tabs or anything physically broken....it becomes "anything goes" to Motorola.

$620 for the repair of battery tabs on a 6000xe radio.

They literally can and will charge whatever they deem fit. What a scam. A flat rate repair is a flat rate in my book.
    Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree SIR Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree PLEASE!

Sarjint I'm asking...no I'm DEMANDING a Lieutenant....Or a supervisor that outranks him....J Dewitte.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 676 Posts

That’s very unfortunate. The last time that I sent a radio for flat rate repair it came back with a new board, a new housing, and new tags that matched the upgraded flashcode in the radio.

I suggest that you challenge any amount in excess of the flat rate.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Aug 16, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,014 Posts

This is routinely happening now, with all radios. If anything in the slightest is not perfect, they will charge a physical abuse charge, even when a tech can see it is normal hard usage.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

But that's OK, XTL repairs are north of $1000 now.

Thanks

I could understand that for water damage but minor broken plastic ?

Thanks

In other funny Depot experiences, they wanted to see my Proof of Purchase for AES for a repair of a radio that got algos added via KVL after purchase, before they would put AES back in.

"Mmmmmm, so I'll show you any ol' purchase of KVL hits, and that will be good, yes...?"
    Otherwise they were gonna jam me $625.

Can't really prove a purchase of algos for a specific radio, performed after initial radio order.

This was a repair due to R20.02.00, which I put on the ticket, but still.

Thanks

This is what they last charged $620 for but have also done same thing for cracked outside plastic.

Inkedbatterytab_LI (3).jpg
    Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree SIR Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree PLEASE!

Sarjint I'm asking...no I'm DEMANDING a Lieutenant....Or a supervisor that outranks him....J Dewitte.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EM36 For This Useful Post:

ndp (Aug 14, 2020)

Thanks

Just a heads up if you're going to censor the other info you probably want to also get the QR code up top.
    KMA367

Thanks

Probably because of an agency near me was at one time short on cash.

Their techs would part swap when radios came in. They had a good radio on the shelf, and they would take good parts off that radio, put those parts onto the busted radio, and then put the broken parts back onto the donor radio.

When they finally had a radio where absolutely everything was broken, (RF board, case, display, knobs, keypad, housing etc), they would flat rate that radio, and get a brand new one in return.

Thanks

I have ok luck with them in Canada. I have sent in XPR6000s that i have destroyed the pads for the ch selector. They replaced the PCB! under flat rate. They used to have a parts list on their paperwork so I could see they had a ch selector and a PCB. so the tried to fix it. then they thought they broke it not me. got em there.

The bad story was XTL5K no audio. Sent for FRR for like $600. They returned it, worked ok for a few months. Then on the last day of warranty the truck came back, now the radio won't turn on. It was blowing the line fuse. Radio was a dead short. I pulled the cover off to find a massive hole in the audio IC. Sent it back for warranty. They approved of it, but were talking awhile. After they told me they would fix it and were waiting on parts. They changed their tune to we can't fix it and it's not warranty. I would bet they couldn't get a PCB for it so they had to panic and tell me not covered abuse.

Thanks

well it sounds like you need to have a spare set of plastic to send a radio through the depot or just swap the bad parts into the one with a good plastic.

Thanks

so flat rate repair is what you pay for normal defects everything else is extra! "abuse charge" of course...Not a surprise anymore with Motorola. The good old days, I used to send in XTS2500 "ebay specials" for the grand sum of I believe it was 375 back in the day and get back a brand new model III XTS2500 no questions asked that could fetch a pretty penny

On a side note, whats the flat rate for the APX NEXT?

Thanks

I'm not sure the Next is on the latest pricelist. I may be wrong.

I see nothing stopping them from saying any radio was abused...

Thanks

There are 2 separate flat rate schedules: Covered repairs and non-covered repairs. You've been quoted from the non-covered repair list, and good luck arguing with the Mexicans, there is literally nobody left at that company that gives a **** about anything except making money anymore. Greg Brown has brought them into the modern age: Premium prices for a premium product with third-world support

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to escomm For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Sep 18, 2020),EM36 (Aug 20, 2020),romanrobles (Sep 21, 2020)

Thanks

So is anyone else having or seeing this problem with battery tabs?

I'm about to open another Quality case with Moto on this one. I thought I had an idea of why this was happening but have now thrown that out the window. I had a radio come in today totally useless as the battery wouldnt stay on the radio....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 542 Posts

Two words: Liquid Nail.

The battery will never fall off again.

Evah.

Gauranteed.

Believe me.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

RFI-EMI-GUY (Sep 18, 2020)

Thanks

It seems to me that the older radios like SABER, STX and even MX were so durable that the cases could be worn away like a soap bar and the batteries still remained attached and the electronics inside were unscathed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_G View Post
    Two words: Liquid Nail.

The battery will never fall off again.

Evah.

Gauranteed.

Believe me.
    Boy do I wish it was that easy LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    It seems to me that the older radios like SABER, STX and even MX were so durable that the cases could be worn away like a soap bar and the batteries still remained attached and the electronics inside were unscathed.
    Just go shopping for Sabers on eBay. Slap a battery on them and they will work another 10 years.
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gtaman View Post
    Just go shopping for Sabers on eBay. Slap a battery on them and they will work another 10 years.
    But not in the USA!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    But not in the USA!
    It’s only illegal if you get caught...... There are so many users still running wideband where I live.
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.