Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANNOUNCING * * * New Firmware Release V1.3 For G-Series P25 Voice Pagers

Thanks

Default ANNOUNCING * * * New Firmware Release V1.3 For G-Series P25 Voice Pagers

Just in case anybody here happened to miss it, the Firmware Version V1.3 was released by Unication. When I first saw the email from Unication, I decided to intentionally wait for a day or so. Anyway, I updated this afternoon and I like it. I use it to monitor my local Minnesota ARMER P25 trunked site. Being able to Hold on a talkgroup is very nice. Also, the ability to Block (lock-out) a talkgroup from the scan list is very nice, too.

https://www.unicationusa.com/so/ceNFVcYsY?cid=af40e7de-80c0-4944-afed-4bfe82016815#/main

RELEASE NOTES
    Updated Firmware & PPS for G-Series P25 Voice Pager (G2,G3,G4,G5)
    FIRMWARE VERSION: V1.3
    PPS VERSION: V03.16.09
    RELEASE DATE: 08/11/2020
    Device software (V1.3) and programming software (V03.16.09) has added a number of enhancements.
    An overview of the updates included in this release are outlined below.
    New Features & Enhancements:
    • Added 2-Tone paging on P25 Conventional (supports QC2 over P25 Conventional)
    • Added Talk Group Hold and Nuisance Delete.
    • Added Radio ID Contact List feature (Allows user to create a contact list of radio IDs to be displayed)
    • Added support of digital 2-Tone QCII stacked paging & multi-alert
    • Added URC4 encryption (compatible with ARC4/ADP encryption)
    • Added DES (Data Encryption Standard)
    • Added support for Bluetooth SSP Pairing (ex: G-Series BT can now connect with Apple Air Pods & other BT devices)
    • Added Bluetooth incoming call alert that displays an “enable/disable” option (now able to mute incoming call
    alert tone)
    Bug/Issue Fixes:
    • Fixed P25 Trunking QCII + AND logic so pager will alert when receiving P25 Trunking all call (0xFFFF)
    • Fixed issue where pager randomly disabled external antenna when placed into Charger Amplifier
    • Fixed issue that cut off voice when receiving a message on priority scan
    • Improvements to CTCSS decoding
    • Improvements to Voice Buffering
    • Fixed issue where wrong TGID alias displayed when receiving a very short voice message on P25 Trunking during
    Delay N countdown
    • Fixed issue where RSSI did not display on the receiving screen when pager was in free scan
    • Fixed issue where pager displayed wrong receive TGID on Diagnostics screen
    • Fixed issue where DSP abort occurred when manually switching knob from Free Scan to another channel
    • Fixed issue where Trunked scan would not lock on Control Channel when pager was powered off more than 3
    minutes
    • Fixed issue where “To & From” displayed incorrect format (Decimal and Hexadecimal) on receiving screen
    • Fixed issue while in priority scan and switching from normal channel to high priority channel, the UI did not update
    with priority channel info
    • Fixed issue where unit failed to reset after revert timeout

Various other under the hood fixes and improvements to optimize performance
    PPS Changes/ Feature Modifications:
    • Added Secure Setting Tab (Encryption Key reference resources)
    • Added ability to assign an encryption key per TGID
    • Added ability to assign QCII to P25 Conventional
    • Changed Analog 2-tone signaling configuration Minimum tone duration parameter range from 0~1000 to 0~1500
    • Support P25 Conventional TGID up to 42 TGIDs
    • Pager automatically reboots after disconnected from PC applications (PPS/Log Extraction Tool/Message Backup)
    www.Unication.com
    Last edited by triptolemus; Aug 15, 2020 at 04:06 AM. Reason: fixed link

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim1348 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Aug 16, 2020),c17lvfd (Aug 15, 2020),fulc (Aug 15, 2020),Joe B (Aug 15, 2020),PSEhub (Aug 15, 2020)

Thanks

I had a look at the programming SW, looks like the G5 also supports multikey now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fulc For This Useful Post:

box (Aug 17, 2020)

Thanks

Does anyone have the link for the new keyloader software which supports ADP? It's not on their website.

Thanks

You have to ask for it from them. I got it in about a day after asking. I can get it to decode ADP on simplex but it wont decode the same signal coming over a repeater...Might be a setting im missing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firebuff66 View Post
    You have to ask for it from them. I got it in about a day after asking. I can get it to decode ADP on simplex but it wont decode the same signal coming over a repeater...Might be a setting im missing
    Is this something that's tied to a serial number or....? Why can't it just be posted? It's not like they're giving you the key to the system being monitored?

(Trunking Free Scan Beta Test), DO NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE with V1.3!
    Well, that rules me out for a bit then.
    Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerm View Post
    Is this something that's tied to a serial number or....? Why can't it just be posted? It's not like they're giving you the key to the system being monitored?
    The previous version was posted here a few months ago: https://communications.support/threa...820#post124820. Unless they changed methods with the new application it should not be serial dependent. Given some larger agencies and systems are using these with encryption having a serial dependent keyload application would be a giant PITA. I don't think anyone has been able to determine the reason for making us jump through hoops to load keys.

Well, that rules me out for a bit then.
    Only if you have previously upgraded to the beta firmware. Per a post from Unication the beta firmware already contains all improvements that have been released in the public v1.3 firmware anyway.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to box For This Useful Post:

tuckerm (Aug 18, 2020)

Thanks

Default Enc

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firebuff66 For This Useful Post:

ben2013 (Sep 05, 2020),box (Aug 18, 2020),p47r4ck (Aug 29, 2020),tuckerm (Aug 18, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by box View Post
    The previous version was posted here a few months ago: https://communications.support/threa...820#post124820. Unless they changed methods with the new application it should not be serial dependent. Given some larger agencies and systems are using these with encryption having a serial dependent keyload application would be a giant PITA. I don't think anyone has been able to determine the reason for making us jump through hoops to load keys.

Only if you have previously upgraded to the beta firmware. Per a post from Unication the beta firmware already contains all improvements that have been released in the public v1.3 firmware anyway.
    It's just weird they don't make it available on their website.
    Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tuckerm For This Useful Post:

box (Aug 18, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firebuff66 View Post
    Here are the associated instructions and sample key file to make use of the application.

Unication Encryption Key Utility User Guide_V0.03_20200805.pdf
    KeyFile.zip

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to box For This Useful Post:

ben2013 (Sep 05, 2020),Phil (3 Weeks Ago),steve_jacobson (Aug 19, 2020),tuckerm (Aug 21, 2020)

Thanks

Upgraded, I think I like it but going to let it soak for a while first.

* General change over to hex from decimal

* Seems that voice buffering is either defaulted on or got a lot worse in 1.3 - latency was on the order of more than a second. Turning it off required bypassing a couple of "are you sure" windows.

This little bugger is running Linux... saw that pop up on the firmware upgrade screen, and it looks to have replaced the entire rootfs for this upgrade.

Thanks

Just FYI, I know of several pagers that have been bricked with this firmware update. Unication said it’s a known issue with no immediate resolution.

Thanks

Mine hasn't been bricked but I have noticed the battery life a lot worse now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerm View Post
    Mine hasn't been bricked but I have noticed the battery life a lot worse now.
    Seems to only brick one out of every ten pagers updated. Once bricked, you have to send the pager in and get a replacement.

Thanks

Has anyone else noticed issues with QCII decoding on the newer firmwares (1.3 and/or beta 1.4)? I have had to downgrade devices from 1.3 to 1.1 for the pager to behave reliably for alerting, which is truly their main purpose for our FD. Ironically, I can activate them consistently and without issue from my service monitor, but it seems like something got tightened up in the later firmware releases that has made them much less reliable on VHF, although the "scanner" features to hold on a talkgroup are convenient. Ironically, 1.2 caused tons of false alerts, but 1.3 is consistently causing missed alerts. I wanted to ask here because the audience is much different than the Unication Facebook or RR threads, where the whacker community is more focused on the scanner aspect than the tone alert functions. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Thanks

If you haven't you may want to double check the tone timing settings. I don't use the paging function so I haven't investigated things a lot but v1.3 introduced the ability to customize the tone timings if I remember correctly.

Right after the new firmware was released I recall seeing a couple posts on RR related to missing alerts and it appeared modifying those timings improved the situation. Now whether it was a programming issue by them or the firmware update setting non-optimal settings, I have no idea.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Since it's on conventional VHF, the timings are standard Motorola 1 second A, 3 seconds B and they are correct. I believe the customizable timings were more around the paging over P2 trunking option, which our county has yet to implement. It's crazy because if I downgrade to 1.1 everything works perfectly with the same settings intact. I was one of the early beta testers on the G5 going back 4 years ago and have been using one since. These latest scanner-focused firmwares are concerning because we're actually counting on these for alerting, with the added benefit of monitoring the trunked system when responding to the station for a call. Since they alert consistently fine on a service monitor regardless of the firmware version, it's been a challenge to track down the root cause of the issue.

Thanks

Do you send QCII with PL? We do and that causes issues with my G5. Try CSQ for the heck of it.

Thanks

I am also having issues. Upgraded firmware, nothing else was changed. I am missing some pages now and went back to using the Minitor until the next release.

Thanks

Here's a link to 1.1 in case you want to downgrade and restore the functionality of your pager: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dwt...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Do you send QCII with PL? We do and that causes issues with my G5. Try CSQ for the heck of it.
    I typed a whole reply and it got lost, so here goes again. It's funny you should mention that because the release of 1.3 coincided with the county switching to a new simulcast dispatch system for our VHF alerting. Unfortunately my service monitor can't synthesize PL and QCII at the same time so it's difficult to test that scenario. I just did some research and found a Motorola R1100A external code synthesizer for $20 shipped on eBay so this should allow me to use the PL generator on the service monitor and the tone generator as an external source so I can use both simultaneously. For anyone interested, the seller has two more units available - not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to eBay, but you can search "Motorola Code Synthsixers" and they'll come up - yes, spelled exactly that way without the quotes.
    Last edited by adamr368; 1 Week Ago at 03:32 PM. Reason: add model details

27. The Following User Says Thank You to adamr368 For This Useful Post:

Mars (1 Week Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,704 Times in 2,391 Posts

Just FYI: If you have access to a MOTOTRBO radio (portable or mobile) they are great test units for generating QCII and PL/DPL/CSQ.

A while back, I programmed a base radio for a municipal government office with multiple sets of freq/tone/QCII combinations so it could be used as a backup means of toning halls throughout the county.

The MOTOTRBO radios are actually quite useful in analog mode for these purposes.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

adamr368 (1 Week Ago),Avery Johannssenn (1 Week Ago),fulc (1 Week Ago),romanrobles (4 Days Ago)

Thanks

Brilliant idea - just might use that for our EOC when we revisit our capabilities - thanks for the heads up!

Thanks

Was anyone able to get ADP working on P25 trunking? I tried but haven't had any luck.

Thanks

I have a G5 enroute to me now, and my department is VHF using both 2-tone and long tone paging sets. Our system is simulcast as well so I'll let you know how I make out. I can also test ADP on P25 trunking...

Mars - I've also used my 7550 for tone encode, works great! I tried setting it up on my APX7K and couldn't figure the bastard out, so I gave up. I've also done it with an XTS2500 as well.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forts For This Useful Post:

Jeff078 (2 Days Ago),Mars (4 Days Ago)

Thanks

I'm looking at purchasing one and saw the special that they have going. I'm not the type to purchase extended warranties, but for those that have one is the 3 year extended (5 year total) warranty worth it or should I go with the desk charger?