Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ham radio operators think they belong on FirstNet LTE network

Thanks
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 531 Posts

Here's a heartwarming tale of amateur competence when the SHTF. A red tie zone professional building in downtown had some electrical work done, and in the process everything in the repeater rack died. This particular account is self maintained because their engineering and security staff are not only well trained and professional, many are also amateur radio operators. Despite their best efforts, they were unable to determine what was wrong, and at a quarter to midnight last night they requested my services.

Sure. Glad to help.

Upon arrival, I get a retelling of the story, and all their efforts to restore service to their radios. As we walked through the mechanical levels, and then ascended to the roof, I was peppered with what-if scenarios, plus questions about the products and materials selected during the 2018 sale and installation which I was not involved in. In the equipment room, my entourage gathered around the rack eagerly awaiting me to begin my laying on of the hands to perform a Lazarus on their radios.

I reach over, press the circuit breaker reset on the in-rack power strip, and bingo - we have joy.

God Bless America.

I was snugly back in my bed by 0230.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

box (2 Weeks Ago),crazyboy (3 Weeks Ago),EM36 (3 Weeks Ago),k1ngfish (1 Week Ago),Mars (3 Weeks Ago),ndp (3 Weeks Ago),sarguy1941 (2 Weeks Ago),TESTMODE (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Would've been better if someone pushed them into the fan while pissing. Then again, there might not be any injury. Pissing out of a catheter which is inserted into a micropenis and all...

Bro, we've chatted about this crap for the last 15-20 years. They'll never learn. I could write a wonderful post about my recent involvement in dismantling the local whacker group and the personal attacks they initiated against me (which failed miserably), but perhaps it's best left to a more private medium. In short: **** ARES and poser hams who pretend they're communications experts, but have ZERO clue what they're doing. Especially the ones who put lives/property (no grounding) at risk. Bunch of dicklocks.
    Making fresh coffee and popcorn in anticipation lol
    Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree SIR Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree PLEASE!

Sarjint I'm asking...no I'm DEMANDING a Lieutenant....Or a supervisor that outranks him....J Dewitte.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EM36 For This Useful Post:

ndp (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

ARES adds no real value anymore. When I read the article when they suggested a ARES team using a First Net data connection to feed a ham mesh network so served agencies would have internet, what is the requirements for the users to ID? They are not hams and if I have the power turned up on the WiFi nodes you need to be a ham. I do not know the answer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cliffy For This Useful Post:

Mars (1 Week Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,389 Times in 2,315 Posts

No one is enforcing compliance/rules on the ham spectrum any longer except a bunch of gas-bags who are capable of nothing and have no legal authority to get involved/solve problem.

Our solution was to just RAS it up and run encryption. Result = People enjoying the hobby again. No further problems from malicious parties or OFs who just want to "check their radio". Too bad we didn't have toys like RAS 20 years ago.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

com501 (1 Week Ago),ndp (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Too bad we didn't have toys like RAS 20 years ago.
    Provoice or VSELP work good

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PSEhub For This Useful Post:

Mars (2 Weeks Ago),MTS2000DES (1 Week Ago),ndp (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

The few times I've had to contact FirstNet support, I got someone in the US. Other than that, there hasn't been any real advantages to having it.

Thanks

Our solution was to just RAS it up and run encryption. Result = People enjoying the hobby again. No further problems from malicious parties or OFs who just want to "check their radio". Too bad we didn't have toys like RAS 20 years ago.
    You're familiar with the issues out here. Imagine if the local community here was like minded and switched on RAS and Crypto to keep unwanted parties out? When DMR first came to town it was wildly popular and within a year had revived local repeater operation. The analog stuff had been DOA for quite awhile but DMR put new life into it. Unfortunately, that ended a few years ago.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CQDX For This Useful Post:

Mars (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

If you want a private system, why not just get a land mobile frequency assigned and avoid the ham drama entirely?

Set up an incorporated association which exists for the purpose of providing radio communications services to its members. That association will then lease a site, obtain licences etc and charge its members (ie you and your mates) dues each year to cover its costs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to syntrx For This Useful Post:

romanrobles (1 Week Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,389 Times in 2,315 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post
    If you want a private system, why not just get a land mobile frequency assigned and avoid the ham drama entirely?

Set up an incorporated association which exists for the purpose of providing radio communications services to its members. That association will then lease a site, obtain licences etc and charge its members (ie you and your mates) dues each year to cover its costs.
    Excellent question.

In these parts, the governing authority, if you want to call them that, will not grant the license unless there is a minimum number of mobiles.

There's also the cost thing. It's free to use the ham spectrum. I enjoy the hobby, which is why I got a license. I just don't enjoy the culture or the garbage equipment that is marketed towards most of the morons in this hobby.

Also, once you go commercial, it's really hard to bargain with a site host, for discounted rooftop space. And as we all know, it's near impossible to find rooftop space anymore. It's not like it used to be.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

syntrx (1 Week Ago),Viper1-6 (6 Days Ago)

Thanks

Reading this thread has been like reviewing my own personal list of reasons why I'm not an ACTIVE amateur radio operator. Oh, I have my extra class license, but I essentially have nothing in common with 90+ percent of people who hold an amateur radios license. Because by and large they know f-all about radio outside of their own very limited interests and the sub-clique that they are part of within the larger amateur community. Of which there are many. Packet whackers. CW dinosaurs. HF ragchewers. The second most annoying of all, the DX contester, who doesn't care about anything but date, time, frequency, signal report, and your call sign. The most annoying, the skywarn (chicken little net) wankers, and reserved for extra special attention, the absolute bottom feeder of bottom feeders, which are in a category by themselves, the REACT affiliated trailer trash. And then the local ARES-affiliated club always drags out its "emergency command center" which is an RV with a few 15 year old radios and a 10 year old laptop and a tilt-up antenna on it, thinking that somehow, this is useful. Significantly, when the county emergency operations center activates emergency protocols, they never ask for that ARES "command center" to come out and play until enough whackers call and beg to let them bring their toy out and spend half the day just trying to get it set up and able to establish communications with the local amateur repeaters.

The only use I have for my ham license is that it legally allows me to have my radio installed in my vehicle for monitoring whatever in-range public safety systems I choose.

I am clearly in better company when hanging out with communications professionals than with amateurs. And I think the way I wrote that came out exactly right.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maxwell Nyquist For This Useful Post:

Mars (3 Days Ago),Mototom (3 Days Ago),MTS2000DES (1 Day Ago),sarguy1941 (3 Days Ago)