Thread: Programming a analog MSF5000 (CLB Model)

Thanks

Default Programming a analog MSF5000 (CLB Model)

Okay I read on batlabs on what is needed to programming a CLB model MSF. But in what steps do you program it? I've programmed a CXB model with no issues and I understand that the CLB's are a little different (okay maybe a lot different)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

If you mean the R-1801A suitcase programmer here is a thread on that: https://www.p25.ca/threads/1340-Moto...ase-Programmer

That has complete info on the suitcase and there is a programming manual for the MSF-5000 there. You can burn 2732 EPROMS using the correct adapter in the suitcase, and in the manual for the MSF it also describes a serial cable you can build to talk to the station. I guess if you put an EEPROM in the station you can program it in-place, otherwise you need to burn an EPROM and physically put it in a socket in the Station Control board.

If you are talking about the newer RSS-programmable MSF's, I believe the software is up here somewhere for it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    If you mean the R-1801A suitcase programmer here is a thread on that: https://www.p25.ca/threads/1340-Moto...ase-Programmer

That has complete info on the suitcase and there is a programming manual for the MSF-5000 there. You can burn 2732 EPROMS using the correct adapter in the suitcase, and in the manual for the MSF it also describes a serial cable you can build to talk to the station. I guess if you put an EEPROM in the station you can program it in-place, otherwise you need to burn an EPROM and physically put it in a socket in the Station Control board.

If you are talking about the newer RSS-programmable MSF's, I believe the software is up here somewhere for it...

We are all set to go with the CLX models we have two of these (one already in service) and one CLB model that we may end up just use for parts. I did see a suitcase programming on ebay the other day for around 300 bucks. I know with the CLX models you just plug the programming cable into the controller and off you go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc2obw View Post
    We are all set to go with the CLX models we have two of these (one already in service) and one CLB model that we may end up just use for parts. I did see a suitcase programming on ebay the other day for around 300 bucks. I know with the CLX models you just plug the programming cable into the controller and off you go.
    You might be better off buying a CLX radio for parts and reuse the chassis. I bought 2 CLX low power UHF's for $100.00 each.

Thanks

We have two digital MSF's so the analog one we are probably going to keep for parts like the PA and the HSO. Its in the medium housing the two digital ones we have are in the bigger chassis

Thanks

I'm moving this to infrastructure as that's where it belongs, and when you folks reference "CLX" radios, you mean "CXB", not "CLX".

CLB = Motorola MSF 5000 "Analog Plus" station, PROM Programmed.
    CXB = Motorola MSF 5000 "Digital Capable" station (meaning CVSD SECURENET), RSS Programmed.
    RUB = Motorola MSF 5000 "Digital Capable" station (meaning CVSD SECURENET), RSS Programmed, Canadian Version.
    RLB = Motorola MSF Limited "Digital Capable" station (meaning CVSD SECURENET), RSS Programmed, and anything but limited. Manufactured towards the end of the product line.

You can convert a CLB station into a CXB station. The easiest way is to obtain a CXB station (like a junker 800MHz station) and remove the interconnect board from the lower chassis, the connecting cable from the interconnect board to the SSCB, the SSCB, TTRC, and plastic housing from the control shelf on the CXB station.

Remove all the crap from the CLB, and install the CXB stuff, and off you go.

The interconnect board isn't a requirement (there are modifications you can do to re-route certain voltages where they need to be), but I'd just pull the parts off a CXB station.
    Last edited by d119; Dec 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Updated with RLB information. How could I forget?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    CLB = Motorola MSF 5000 "Analog Plus" station, PROM Programmed.
    CXB = Motorola MSF 5000 "Digital Capable" station (meaning CVSD SECURENET), RSS Programmed.
    RUB = Motorola MSF 5000 "Digital Capable" station (meaning CVSD SECURENET), RSS Programmed, Canadian Version.
    Isn't there also a "RLB" version that uses the digital-capable SSCB/TTRC and programs with RSS?

Thanks

I believe so, wasn't the RLB the MSF limited? Which if I recall really was limited at all?