Thread: O3 HHCH screen/face swap question

Thanks

Default O3 HHCH screen/face swap question

Hi all,

Couldn't find an answer in searching, so ill make a quick thread.

I have a O3 HHCH on a XTL2500 converted to XTL5000, all works perfect but the screen is bit scratched up. I have a BNIB O3 screen (screen/front face/codepad assy), when i fit the new screen the radio turns on, all buttons work, i can RX and TX, change zone/channels etc, by sound i can get into service mode etc, LED next to screen works but the screen itself is just blank (lights up white/blank ie no text).

I power down and fit the old screen back on and power up, old screen works perfect. Try the new screen again, still just blank. Fit the old screen back on and again old screen works perfect.

Question is the firmware in the screen assy or mic/head back? and its a mismatch to the brick or between screen assy and mic/head back assy? Or does this sound like faulty screen?
    Was hoping easy sway, dosent look like there is much in the screen assy besides screen and buttons and 1 ribbon cable, assumed control is in the back assy.

New screen assy was BNIB, unknown date. As screen is just blank cant show version when i go in service mode.

Old screen on the same mic/base and same radio brick is;

As said before XTL2500 converted to XTL5000.

Host: R200001
    DSP Version: R195000
    CH Version: 16.00.00
    Model: M20KSS9PW1AN
    Flashcode: 589288-00iE84-7
    RF Band: VHF
    Tuning Ver: R01.00.04
    Processor Ver: BRAV0122

Thanks.

Thanks

Just to clarify, its a O3 HHCH that im trying to replace the front cover of the 03 head, just the screen (screen/front face/codepad assy) of the O3 head. The rest of the O3 HHCH is existing ie the back circuitry/back case and cable.

Thanks

What is the part number of your original head and what is the part number of the replacement front kit?

I'm no expert in these, but I know there are a number of different front kits listed for different versions of head. Quite what the differences are I don't know but it may be that you haven't matched new and old. Your description would seem to match with his thread

https://communications.support/threa...quot-revisions

This may not be a complete list, but it may help

PMHN4082_ Housing, Front, Service Kit for PMUN1034A & PMUN1034B
    PMHN4174_ Housing, Front, Service Kit for PMUN1034C or above
    PMHN4199_ Housing, Front, Service Kit for PMUN1052B or above
    PMHN4198_ Housing, Front, Service Kit for PMUN1053A or above
    PMHN4202_ Housing, Front, Service Kit for PMUN1054A or above
    PMHN4201_ Housing, Front, Service Kit for PMUN1055A or above
    Last edited by knickerlessparsons; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:05 PM. Reason: Additional info

Thanks

Ahh intresting, does sound like same issue.

Original head is PMUN1034C however i dont have the pn for the new front housing, dosent have pn written on it either. Mmmm

Thanks

I have no idea if there are any physical differences or whether it's just firmware or other internal stuff (very techy eh!). You can see internal pictures of the correct PMHN4174A front for the PMUN1034C in my listing here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353138469070

Thanks

I removed the screen out of the front housing of my old one and placed it inside the new housing, it works!

However it seems like the DIM function does not work. Instead of full bright, mid and off its only staying what looks to be mid? both bright and mid does not change the brightness, but i can turn off

Thanks

How scratched is "scratched"? I have a C-rev front half I removed from my O3 with some small pits/scratches but is otherwise in "good" shape".