Thread: Few MSF5000 questions

Thanks

Default Few MSF5000 questions

Not sure if this is the right are for it and if its not I apologize.

Recently we have started playing with some 900 MSF5000's we had laying around two are CLX models and one is a CLB. Right now we currently have one of the CLX models on the air right now and it is performing extremely well. We haven't done too much tweaking with the RSS we pretty much threw a freq and PL in along with CW ID. We have noticed that it takes about a second for the repeater to go into repeat mode, we have also noticed this on the CLB model also. Is this a standard for this type of repeater to take a second to key up?

Also another question the first MSF we programmed, once we plugged the station in the fans came on as soon as the station had power. The other CLX model and the CLB model the fans do not come on even if after it tx's. Is there a programming parameter in the RSS(on the clx)?

Thanks

It's likely operating in "Fall Back In-cabinet Repeat" mode, and looking for a keying sequence from a comparator before determining there isn't one there, and going into in-cabinet repeat.

Go into the software and find the "Station Mode" or whatever its called, and change it from BASE to REPEATER.

There are also some delays that can be programmed into the stations, those I'm not as familiar with off the top of my head. The MSF 5000 RSS manual will answer all of these questions.

Additionally, your stations may need to warm up for a while if just being powered on, they may be slightly off frequency resulting in the decode delay for inbound signals. HSO's really do require a couple of hours to get properly on-frequency and perform optimally when started from cold. Remember, there truly is a little oven in there that has to warm up.

Have you tried programming the station to CSQ receive temporarily to determine if it's a PL/DPL decode issue? If you set it to CSQ and the stations key right up, it's something in your encode/decode setup. If they are still slow, check the BASE/REPEATER mode.

Remember, everything on 900 is 2.5kHz, program your subscribers accordingly.

As far as your fans are concerned, I don't recall ever seeing any PTT/thermal controlled fans on the MSF stations. I'd bet the stations with the fans that DON'T come on either have the fan tray power plug disconnected (a Molex plug), or the fans are DEAD (don't be surprised). Remove dead fans and replace with like fans.

Thanks

Thanks D119. I'm pretty sure we tried it in csq mode and it still took the station about a second to go into repeat mode, and its in repeater and not in base mode. Next time I'm at the site I'll double check the one we have on the air. Today I will probably be playing around with the other Digital one we have. Everything should be on frequency though, we tuned everything thing with a IFR and network analyzer, and the other repeater has been running for a few months now. And all the radios we are using are narrowband, Spectra's MTX9000's MTX9250's TK931 and 981's

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    It's likely operating in "Fall Back In-cabinet Repeat" mode, and looking for a keying sequence from a comparator before determining there isn't one there, and going into in-cabinet repeat.

Go into the software and find the "Station Mode" or whatever its called, and change it from BASE to REPEATER.

There are also some delays that can be programmed into the stations, those I'm not as familiar with off the top of my head. The MSF 5000 RSS manual will answer all of these questions.

Additionally, your stations may need to warm up for a while if just being powered on, they may be slightly off frequency resulting in the decode delay for inbound signals. HSO's really do require a couple of hours to get properly on-frequency and perform optimally when started from cold. Remember, there truly is a little oven in there that has to warm up.

Have you tried programming the station to CSQ receive temporarily to determine if it's a PL/DPL decode issue? If you set it to CSQ and the stations key right up, it's something in your encode/decode setup. If they are still slow, check the BASE/REPEATER mode.

As far as your fans are concerned, I don't recall ever seeing any PTT/thermal controlled fans on the MSF stations. I'd bet the stations with the fans that DON'T come on either have the fan tray power plug disconnected (a Molex plug), or the fans are DEAD (don't be surprised). Remove dead fans and replace with like fans.

Thanks

OK. The other thing you can do is load one of the default codeplugs that comes with the MSF 5000 RSS, and customize from a "known" default codeplug. This will eliminate any funky programming the previous owner may have entered. The codeplugs are in the root directory of the MSF 5000 RSS, and not in the default location the RSS looks in for archive files. I believe you want the CONV.DEF file. You'll need to tell the RSS that it's an 896MHz station, then go from there. CONVSTAC.DEF is for systems involving voting comparators, CONVSIMUL.DEF is for simulcast stations. TRNKxxxx.DEF is for trunked stations.

I hope this helps!

Thanks

We did a little work on the station today, the fans are shot, this particular station came out of a very dusty environmental and it appears that the fans are binded up with dust we have a new set of fans we are going to put in. And as for the analog station it looks like we are going to end up using that for parts for the current digital one well at least the receiver. The transmitter on the Digital one is fine but the reciter seems to be a little deaf. The last digital station we put on the is pretty sensitive, but the second one seems like one of the tuning spots is not as tight as it should be.

Thanks

Sometimes less is more. .01uV is nice, but likely too nice - it's possible intermodulation products, Part 15 crap, etc. could cause issues for you with that kind of sensitivity.

Thanks

Sometimes less is more. .01uV is nice, but likely too nice - it's possible intermodulation products, Part 15 crap, etc. could cause issues for you with that kind of sensitivity.
    The first station we put on the air is at .01uV and haven't noticed any issues, and is playing well and its at pretty quiet site.

The second station the receiver was taken apart today and the locking nut on L7 came off that was put back on. Once we get it but back together we will see what that is at. We are tuning the receiver with a IFR and a network analyzer and I tell you a network analyzer makes things much easier especially tuning up a set of cans.

Thanks

on the current 900 station we are setting up for another site we are seeing .05uV on the IFR we would like to get it at .01uV like the one we have currently on the air but for some reason we can't get it to do any better. When tuning L7-L11 (when tuning L7 it doesn't appear to be doing squat) when reaching the thresholds the signal would just drop out and not fade out like expected, I'm assuming maybe a squelch issue? The squelch knob on the controller seems rather useless, is there a squelch softpot some where in the receiver or on the controller board?

Also both stations are equipped with wildcard inputs in the future we plan on using Scomms on the stations.