Thread: EFJ 5100

Thanks

Default EFJ 5100

I'm thinking about purchasing an EFJ 5100 off of fleabay. The model of the radio I'm looking at is 242-5133-410-BC. Now I know this is a 407-470mhz radio. It also appears to be series 1 by the firmware installed, 1.18.15.

The question I have is, after playing with the PC Configure software, and reading some of the help item's I noticed it mentions that MDC-1200 is ONLY available on version 4 firmware radios. Is this true that the earlier EFJ's don't have MDC-1200?

And either way does the MDC feature of the EFJ have /\/\-style DOS?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

You may be disappointed with the EFJ MDC support, even with version 4 firmware. It apparently lacks DOS muting (maybe I just haven't found it yet) also it lacks some of the more sophisticated Stat-Alert features like PAGE and CALL alerts. The program help for PCConfigure says that call alert, etc are P25 only.

I'm not sure about the early versions not supporting MDC, though. If you have the early PCConfigure that goes with firmware version 1, you can look and see if the options screen has a check box for it, maybe? I'm guessing that if it's not supported, they probably wouldn't put a box there. Maybe someone who knows for sure can say.

Thanks

I see the options for it in the PC Configure 1.28.0.8 (the version that my research shows supports the 1.18.15 F/W). But the help gives conflicting answers.

The PCC software shows all the options for MDC.

pcc_help_snapshot.PNG

EDIT: Your right, the Call Alert options are P25...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

Yep, I'm afraid the featureset is limited to Unit ID, and Emergency pretty much. The radios DO display the unit ID's ("Caller ID") though, that's a plus...