Thread: XL-200P

Thanks

Default XL-200P

So Im currently looking for another APX8000 but I've been looking at the XL-200P also. How much of a difference is the programming from APX to Harris RPM? Also are the keys different for Harris vs the 8000's?
    "Scanner hobbyists have conjured up the idea that a new, unscannable technology is not interoperable"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Also are the keys different for Harris vs the 8000's?
    Not entirely sure what you mean by keys. The newest versions of RPM2 require a Gemalto/Sentinnel/Thales USB key for many system IDs.

The Motorola ASK or software keys will not work.

The RPM packages include both RPM and RPM2.

Harris offers 3 types of dongles: Master Dongle, Distribution Dongle, and Secondary Distribution Dongle.

The kit you would want is SS-SW1D which is $1,095 MSRP and includes 1 Master key.

Each additional hardware dongle, either master or distribution is $450 MSRP.

The RPM package with no dongle is $895 MSRP

5 years of updates are included.

If you are interested in Non-Affiliate, you would want to disable "auto login" and uncheck TX Enable for all TGs.

If its a Motorola system, you would also need to use the correct NAC for each site, or use Enhanced CC/Enhanced Spectrum Scan. Check out this thread for more info https://communications.support/threa...torola-CC-Scan

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PSEhub For This Useful Post:

Blackwater (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSEhub View Post
    Not entirely sure what you mean by keys. The newest versions of RPM2 require a Gemalto/Sentinnel/Thales USB key for many system IDs.

The Motorola ASK or software keys will not work.

The RPM packages include both RPM and RPM2.

Harris offers 3 types of dongles: Master Dongle, Distribution Dongle, and Secondary Distribution Dongle.

The kit you would want is SS-SW1D which is $1,095 MSRP and includes 1 Master key.

Each additional hardware dongle, either master or distribution is $450 MSRP.

The RPM package with no dongle is $895 MSRP

5 years of updates are included.

If you are interested in Non-Affiliate, you would want to disable "auto login" and uncheck TX Enable for all TGs.

If its a Motorola system, you would also need to use the correct NAC for each site, or use Enhanced CC/Enhanced Spectrum Scan. Check out this thread for more info https://communications.support/threa...torola-CC-Scan
    Thanks PSEhub. It may just be easier to stick with Motorola. I have system keys for the systems I have valid IDís for which are 4 different trunk systems.

Thanks

The software of the APX is much more flexible than the Harris and a lot less convoluted. The hardware is a whole other story. You will definitely like the performance of the APX over the XL any day of the week.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to otter9309 For This Useful Post:

Blackwater (1 Week Ago),MTS2000DES (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

It goes with personal preference. I'm personally a fan of the XL over the APX. Though the APX6/8 has a better "feel" to it, I find the user ability of the XL to be more favorable. So long as you have the firmware updated to get past the former freezing issues. The XG to me feels like a brick and rock solid compared to any XE version APX.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:

Blackwater (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

As I sit here typing this I am looking at the shelf on my programming bench with Harris radios from the P5100 and M7100 through the XL-200p and XL-200m as well as Motorola radios from the XTS5000 and XTL5000 through the APX6000 and APX6500 in addition to Kenwood and Johnson radios. There isn't a single radio on that shelf that doesn't have a pain point. Between the APX line and XL line, I tend to favor the XL portable for actual use. I have both an XL-200p and APX6000 side by side in my work truck as my primary portables and 95% of the time end up grabbing my XL-200p. On mobiles, I am still warming up to the XL-185m / XL-200m.

Programming is neither harder nor easier between APX CPS and RPM2. The workflow is simply different. You need to understand that the vendors use the same words in different ways. I spend a lot of time helping others with doing programming conversions between vendors including Harris, Motorola, and Kenwood/EFJ. I personally hate doing Kenwood/EFJ programming but again that is because it is simply a different workflow that I don't do as much.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DisasterGuy For This Useful Post:

Blackwater (1 Week Ago),box (1 Week Ago),MTS2000DES (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterGuy View Post
    As I sit here typing this I am looking at the shelf on my programming bench with Harris radios from the P5100 and M7100 through the XL-200p and XL-200m as well as Motorola radios from the XTS5000 and XTL5000 through the APX6000 and APX6500 in addition to Kenwood and Johnson radios. There isn't a single radio on that shelf that doesn't have a pain point. Between the APX line and XL line, I tend to favor the XL portable for actual use. I have both an XL-200p and APX6000 side by side in my work truck as my primary portables and 95% of the time end up grabbing my XL-200p. On mobiles, I am still warming up to the XL-185m / XL-200m.

Programming is neither harder nor easier between APX CPS and RPM2. The workflow is simply different. You need to understand that the vendors use the same words in different ways. I spend a lot of time helping others with doing programming conversions between vendors including Harris, Motorola, and Kenwood/EFJ. I personally hate doing Kenwood/EFJ programming but again that is because it is simply a different workflow that I don't do as much.
    Thanks. I already have a codeplug built for a 8000 with all the systems I have access to in it already. I would have to start from the beginning and build the codeplug for the Harris so its looking more and more like it may just be easier to stay with the APX.
    "Scanner hobbyists have conjured up the idea that a new, unscannable technology is not interoperable"