Thread: XTS2500: Charging Impres batteries in Impres 2 chargers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,109 Times in 679 Posts

Default XTS2500: Charging Impres batteries in Impres 2 chargers

Sort of resurrecting this old thread now that Impres 2 chargers are on the scene.

https://communications.support/threa...ttery-Question

I picked up a couple of Impres 2 chargers for XTS batteries and noticed some odd problems. With my Nickel Metal Hydride batteries the radio will display the capacity information as it should. Not so for the Lithium Ion batteries. Just blank or sometimes the number of charges will display. I've even run the batteries through a couple of conditioning cycles in the Impres 2 chargers and no joy.

OTOH, if I charge the Lithium Ion batteries in original Impres chargers then all is good.

Prior posts address this problem with the original Impres chargers but, in my case, charging the batteries in original Impres charges works whereas the Impres 2 chargers cause problems. WTF? Impres 2 chargers are supposed to be backwards compatible.

After all these years it appears that Motorola still hasn't figured out how to make Impres batteries work. Why not just stick to a battery level indicator on the display and forget this "smart" battery nonsense? Motorola isn't "smart" enough to make Impres work.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

Mars (Sep 09, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,014 Posts

-AND... Thanks for beta testing our firmware!
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

We have had nothing but problems mixing Impres 2 and Impres 1 batteries and chargers. Particular Impres 1 chargers refusing to charge Impres 2 batteries at all. Even some Impres 2 batteries that the Impres 2 single unit charger refused to charge, but the Impres 2 MUC would charge.

Impres seems to be nothing but top dollar sh!t.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,014 Posts

The problem is that Motorola has eliminated most of the back end staff who did software and firmware QC and have left it to people in foreign countries who obviously could giva a shit about making things work reliably.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (2 Weeks Ago),Mars (Sep 09, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,727 Times in 2,395 Posts

I recently got a used IMPRES battery (recent date code) which came bundled with a APX4000. Cannot charge the battery whatsoever. Just flashes red. I use IMPRES 1 chargers with the latest firmware. I am assuming the person who sent it to me, had been using an IMPRES 2 charger.

Ended up throwing the battery in the garbage. Motorola is a piece of shit company.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (2 Weeks Ago),com501 (Sep 09, 2020),crazyboy (Sep 10, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I recently got a used IMPRES battery (recent date code) which came bundled with a APX4000. Cannot charge the battery whatsoever. Just flashes red. I use IMPRES 1 chargers with the latest firmware. I am assuming the person who sent it to me, had been using an IMPRES 2 charger.

Ended up throwing the battery in the garbage. Motorola is a piece of shit company.
    I had 2 new APX4000 batteries that were less than 2 years old that did the same thing. I also work for a city radio shop, we maintain a little over 4000 radios and I'm seeing a lot of APX6000 Impres 2 batteries that won't charge in Impres 1 or 2 chargers. We also had 2 Impres 2 bank chargers fail that are less then a year old, luckily they're still under warranty.

Thanks

now can you charge impres 2 battery in original charger?

Thanks

Yes, they're backwards compatible, they just don't charge as fast. At time's they have issues, usually you can fix the batteries using an Impres 2 charger.

Thanks

I know this is an XTS thread however APX was mentioned so I figured I would put my input in.

I am able to charge my Impres 2 PMNN4486 in a Impres 1 NNTN7079 charger. I haven't seen any negative impact on the battery and it seems to charge and perform fine so far.
    I also know that so far Impres 1 batteries don't have a problem with charging in Impres 2 chargers.