Thread: Never take no for an answer...wiring non moto access to apx

Thanks

Default Never take no for an answer...wiring non moto access to apx

I got handed a couple of single ear David Clark headsets a few weeks ago with a request from the chief to see if I could make these work with our APX radios. The headsets were brand new unused and wired for Harris radios. David Clark said no way they could retrofit and make work. This was their old style headset with the belt clip box and ptt mounted on box. Big n clunky...

Well I did some looking around and got an idea.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Headp...72.m2749.l2649

I found that cable on freakbay for really short money. Just had to identify and locate the connector at the end. Turns out it's a mini xlr connector. Turned to Mouser and got the TB6MS Switchcraft connectors to mount on the cup. Schwing...saved tons of time wiring for short money. Those cables from freakbay are made really well with strain reliefs etc. Nice ptt switch with integral rsm style clip on it. Large size can be used with gloves on also!

Sat down after lunch this afternoon and put this together. Ohmed out the cable for proper pinout, took out existing wiring from cup, redrilled with a step bit to fit the flange connector on and wired everything inside the cup.

For $40 each I was able to save some $400 headsets from being tossed. Schweet!

I figured I'd post this here as these cables make it super easy to interface anything to an apx portable... I think others here could get a benefit of this maybe too.

Chief is so excited he's on his way here to put into service lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree SIR Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree PLEASE!

Sarjint I'm asking...no I'm DEMANDING a Lieutenant....Or a supervisor that outranks him....J Dewitte.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to EM36 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (5 Days Ago),box (1 Week Ago),cyrus (1 Week Ago),marcotor (1 Week Ago),Mars (1 Week Ago),Number 6 (1 Week Ago),phonebuff (1 Week Ago),TESTMODE (1 Week Ago),triptolemus (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

I am going to pickup a few more of these cables. For the cost and quality you can't beat them. Wicked easy way to interface something hardwired to an apx portable without having to build or modify a Mot acc connector. Plug and play for alot of stuff.

I'll draw up the pinouts and stuff too when I have a chance in case anyone else here wants to use this for something it will save some work.

APX1000 on 800 to vhf or uhf for a quick way to cross band? Gateway cable for zello etc? Simplex repeater cable..

The darn mating connector is half the cost of the cable.
    Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree SIR Officer Ogletree Officer Ogletree PLEASE!

Sarjint I'm asking...no I'm DEMANDING a Lieutenant....Or a supervisor that outranks him....J Dewitte.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EM36 For This Useful Post:

Mars (1 Week Ago),splinter34 (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

"Turns out it's a mini xlr connector. Turned to Mouser and got the TB6MS Switchcraft connectors to mount on the cup."

Is this the same or similar to 5 pin connector that mates with a TKN8229B KVL cable used for Syntor, PX-300S, Spectra MCX1000 and more? If so I need to get a couple for special purposes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

Mars (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    "Turns out it's a mini xlr connector. Turned to Mouser and got the TB6MS Switchcraft connectors to mount on the cup."

Is this the same or similar to 5 pin connector that mates with a TKN8229B KVL cable used for Syntor, PX-300S, Spectra MCX1000 and more? If so I need to get a couple for special purposes.
    Unsure, can you post a pic of it ?

I think that uses a standard hi-rose connector on it. Again unsure without seeing.

Thanks

Pics on google show it's similar outside, although unable to tell for two reasons, one is it should have a little bubble button on the outside that unlocks the connector when mated, and also unable to see pins in front to determine orientation and sex.

Thanks

Definitely not a Hirose. Obviously I haven't seen in person but almost certain it's the same as the keyloader cable. It has the same button.
    KMA367

Thanks

If someone can post a picture of one I can tell by seeing the end and the button if it's mini xlr.

Thanks

EM36, do you happen to know which mic the Dave Clark headsets you have use? I might do your conversion on mine but I'm not sure which mic works with the APX.

Thanks.

Thanks

TNK8229 CABLE.jpgTNK8229B CABLE.jpg

It is definitely not a HIROSE like for SABER etc. It is something older used on MCX1000, PX-300S. And it is 5 pin. So I think it is like the model used on the headset because of the pin button on the side.

Thanks

The posts on this thread regarding modifying expensive headset parts reminded me that I have a lot (100's) of Savox Com-Control body switches. They are new, boxed, ATEX rated heavy duty switches that take all the Savox headsets with their QR4 4 pole plug such as the Helmet-Com headsets that Motorola have sold for a long time. The downside of these switches is the radio plug is for a Niros TRX1012, which was a somewhat obscure Danish Intrinsically Safe radio. The cables on the Com-Controls looks like it would be pretty straightforward to exchange for something more popular

They are real quality items, it seems a shame not to use them, but people aren't interested in them as they are. I'd considered scrapping them and selling the clips as spares, but hadn't got round to it. If anyone thinks that they can make use these switches, drop me a message, I'm not looking for silly money, any reasonable offers considered as long as they cover my shipping cost and buy me a few beers.

DSC07009.jpgDSC07010.jpgDSC07011.jpgDSC07012.jpg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to knickerlessparsons For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (5 Days Ago)

Thanks

It is definitely not a HIROSE like for SABER etc. It is something older used on MCX1000, PX-300S. And it is 5 pin. So I think it is like the model used on the headset because of the pin button on the side.
    That is a 5 pin mini xlr connector based on it's outside shape, pin release and clip shape. Mouser has them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LA_XTS View Post
    EM36, do you happen to know which mic the Dave Clark headsets you have use? I might do your conversion on mine but I'm not sure which mic works with the APX.

Thanks.
    I would have it at work. From what I remember in looking at the DC schematic diagrams on their website all of the mic elements were the same but it was only the earpiece impedance that changed with single cup vs dual. I finished the second headset on Friday and I closed the windows but think I can verify the elements easy enough.

Thanks

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/3..._CD-773080.pdf

Should have the 5 pin orientation as seen here?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...YPKu6b6nXP4%3D

Thanks

I had one of my old DC headsets done by Racing Electronics years ago to use with my scanner on one ear. Im pretty sure that was the connector they used. I have my new headsets in the MH, I'll have to check them. Some place i have a box with 4 new DC headsets for a MT 1000 I would love to retrofit for the APX. Thanks for the post !

Thanks

I think someone asked about the mic elements, there are 2-3 seen on the DC website, I have the M77 part number, which happens to match the direct connect APX version...

schematic http://www.davidclarkcompany.com/fil...L19540P-38.pdf

Note this schematic is a direct radio connection style headset, the ebay cables have the nice ptt switch built into the cable which DC doesn't and needs the ptt switch mounted to the top of the headset cup which you would have to use if you used anything other than the ebay cables unless your cable had ptt inline also.

There is also a M-7a part number but I'm going to guess this will work with the apx radios also, but you would want to test this out. There isn't a big difference seen on the schematics of this stuff....

The pin outs for the ebay cables are as follows:

XLR Connector
    Pin1=ext mic +
    Pin2=Speaker -
    Pin3= NC
    Pin4=Ptt
    Pin5=Speaker +
    Pin6=Ground

I removed the existing DC wire from the headset, removed rubber strain relief and redrilled for the mini xlr connector with a mini step bit and battery drill. Go slow until you get to the perfect size.

Sarguy I bet your mt1000 headsets would be great candidates to make work on the apx.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EM36 For This Useful Post:

LA_XTS (5 Days Ago),sarguy1941 (5 Days Ago)

Thanks

It seems that the eBay seller also carries a variety of comparable cables for various radios. They apparently sell headsets that use these cables to adapt them for different radios.

The availability of cables for different radios that all seem to terminate in the same type mini-XLR create the possibility of interfacing a variety of radios to a variety of audio devices.

Thanks, EM36, for discovering this source.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_XTS For This Useful Post:

EM36 (3 Days Ago)

Thanks

I have some of those drager PTT buttons with APX plugs on them.

Thanks

Those Savox/Dräger buttons can accept both dynamic and electret mics. I have the pinout "somewhere". They share GND for speaker and mics, so only one side of the floating audio PA out is used, and the other side of the speaker/earphone is connected to ground.
    Then there's a wide variety of HC's, some are atex, some aren't. We hade a few ATEX-versions that worked ok with Waris-radios, but the audio was too low with Sepura. Odd.