Thread: Itinerant Licensing Clarification

Thanks

Default Itinerant Licensing Clarification

I want to play with radios. I understand that there are such things as Itinerant frequencies for people (entities) to be licensed upon. To the best of my understanding (here), I can decide upon a frequency pair, say:

461/466.36875

and then I can use that pair as long as I abide by the low power rules:

Low Power itinerent frequencies (per 47.90.267)
    (e) Group C Frequencies. The Industrial/Business Pool frequencies in
    Group C are available nationwide for non-coordinated itinerant use as follows.
    (1) Group C frequencies are available for voice and non-voice operations on a co-primary basis. Only mobile operations will be authorized on Group C
    frequencies. Stations may operate at fixed locations for a temporary period
    of time. No stations operating at a permanent fixed location will be authorized on Group C frequencies.
    (2) Operation on these frequencies is limited to 6 watts effective radiated
    power for fixed or mobile units and 2 watts ERP for portable units. Stations
    operating at fixed locations for a temporary period of time will be limited to
    an antenna height of 7 meters (20 feet) above ground.

Do I not need a license to do that? Furthermore, if I want to use a tiny repeater (10 watts) in a portable way (set it up on a picnic table with a car battery for a short period of time), how do I license for an itinerant frequency pair without paying lots of money to someone to coordinate things? The ULS appears to be heavily geared towards regular (non-itinerant) licensing and asks for precise antenna location etc.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 670 Posts

You have given yourself most of your answers. In that paragraph you quoted that:

1. These are "itinerant". Which as it says is OK for portable, mobile or temporary fixed locations.
    2. These are "non-coordinated". So you don't need to have the frequency pair coordinated which is good because that costs a LOT.
    3. You may not use a 10 watt repeater unless your antenna gain + duplexer loss is about -3 dB. 6W ERP is the maximum allowed, 2W for talkies.
    4. You DO need to be licensed to use the frequencies. As to how to do this, maybe someone here can tell you how they went about it...

Thanks

The easiest way to do this is to contact a company such as Business Radio Licensing or another company along those lines and have them take care of it for you.

Thanks

If you want to go it on your own:
    1. Identify the Itinerant frequencies you want to use.
    2. Verify technical and legal eligibility for those frequencies. (This is where you read nearly all of Part 90)
    3. Create a form 601, its best to use the online filing tool, that matches the frequencies and eligibility requirements. You should pay attention to the power limits and emission type limits when doing this. Since you are using itinerant frequencies, no coordination is required. Its best to double check that you have that correct.
    4. Pay the fee ($290?) and submit.
    5. Wait a month, if you got everything right enough, you get a license. If you don't, its time to fill out more forms and pay more fees.

Yeah, its kinda like gambling.