Thread: Beware EFJ "Noise Reduction"

Thanks

Default Beware EFJ "Noise Reduction"

On passing I flipped the noise reduction setting in PCConfigure on my VHF radio to see what it sounded like. Never quite got around to testing it until nobody on my local 2 meter net could understand me.

In short: the noise reduction setting makes you sound like you're underwater. It's possible that the noise is also reduced, but...

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 670 Posts

Thanks for posting your findings. I was wondering what those were all about and if they worked anything like the Motorola equivalents. This might be an equivalent to "Hear Clear" which is a horrible-sounding compression and autocorrelator. I also noticed there were a whole slew of gain/AGC settings for all the various trunked and conventional modes too. If our experience with the Motorola AGC settings is any indicator then they are worth playing around with, because at least the Motorola gain/AGC settings make a big difference in the quality of the outgoing audio.

I also want to find out if these older X series 5100's use AMBE2+ for their vocoder like the newer 51ES and 51FIRE units.

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Thanks for posting your findings. I was wondering what those were all about and if they worked anything like the Motorola equivalents. This might be an equivalent to "Hear Clear" which is a horrible-sounding compression and autocorrelator. I also noticed there were a whole slew of gain/AGC settings for all the various trunked and conventional modes too. If our experience with the Motorola AGC settings is any indicator then they are worth playing around with, because at least the Motorola gain/AGC settings make a big difference in the quality of the outgoing audio.

I also want to find out if these older X series 5100's use AMBE2+ for their vocoder like the newer 51ES and 51FIRE units.
    The X (5100 and 5300) series use IMBE. The ES (51, 51FIRE, 5300ES and VP600 Vikings) use AMBE2+

Thanks

I tested the AGC and it's very nice. I wish my local public safety would use it as well...