Thread: Quantar Intellirepeater SIMM module

Thanks

Default Quantar Intellirepeater SIMM module

Hi All,

I have a Quantar SCM here that has failed. Part number CLN6960B. When it is powered on, all the LEDs on the front flash slowly which indicates the module is in bootloader mode.

Loading new firmware fails, the software erroring out with "FTP put operation failed" I have tried loading at different baud rates, off different PCs, etc etc all to no avail.

I swapped the SIMM module for a known good working one and the station came back to life, so my question now is, how do I repair this SIMM?

The firmware images posted in a different thread shows that the station firmware fits cleanly on 4 29F040B devices. The SIMM module has 8 of these chips. I have also noticed that the BOOT1 firmware version never changes on an SCM even after a flash from, say, version 9 to version 14, the BOOT1 version will stay on 9. This tells me that the BOOT1 firmware is stored on the SIMM, and that it isn't updated during the upgrade process. For this reason, I am guessing that I can't simply buy 8 new EEPROMs and install them in the SIMM module.

Do I just chuck this SIMM module in the bin or is there some other way it can be revived?

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    Hi All,

I have a Quantar SCM here that has failed. Part number CLN6960B. When it is powered on, all the LEDs on the front flash slowly which indicates the module is in bootloader mode.

Loading new firmware fails, the software erroring out with "FTP put operation failed" I have tried loading at different baud rates, off different PCs, etc etc all to no avail.

I swapped the SIMM module for a known good working one and the station came back to life, so my question now is, how do I repair this SIMM?

The firmware images posted in a different thread shows that the station firmware fits cleanly on 4 29F040B devices. The SIMM module has 8 of these chips. I have also noticed that the BOOT1 firmware version never changes on an SCM even after a flash from, say, version 9 to version 14, the BOOT1 version will stay on 9. This tells me that the BOOT1 firmware is stored on the SIMM, and that it isn't updated during the upgrade process. For this reason, I am guessing that I can't simply buy 8 new EEPROMs and install them in the SIMM module.

Do I just chuck this SIMM module in the bin or is there some other way it can be revived?

Cheers,
    Matt
    I have seen double sided SIMMs, which is what you described. Is it possible to read a known good simm and put it into a simm that needs to be fixed? Answer YES. The Simm itself has the 29F040B parts on it (early module versions), which is double the density of the original parts that used to be in the 32 pin empty sockets. The structure of the 80 pin simm is actually a simm that is 32 data bits wide, to talk directly to the CPU in 32 bit wide mode. The SIMM layout has a side A and side B, where the lowest addressed memory is on side A, Side B has the same amount of memory, but is above side A memory address wise.

The other thing I have discovered is that these simms have a 5 bit key on them, made with zero ohm chip resistors. The CPU board reads code from the simm board on a parallel port, and if its not the correct code, the firmware won't boot up. For instance, the NON IR Quantar has a different 5 bit code made of resistors than what the same simm for an Astro Tac 3000 comparator does. I personally have never tried to load a boot only simm with a firmware disc upgrade. However, I have been successful in reading a 80 pin simm and looking over what’s inside one (no resourcing or reverse engineering going on here but more of a curiosity). Once you get this far, then a common Flash writer will handle each one of these chips, one at a time. Since the four chips on a side are part of the 32 bits (one chip 0-7, another 8-15, another 16 - 23 and the last one 24-32), you have to reselect the 8 bits to read just one flash chip at a time. Adapters for Motorola 80 pin simms are nonexistent as far as I can tell. The one dual sided Simm I looked at, while it had chips on both sides, only have information installed on the "A" side of the simm- the "B" side was all FF's (Blank - unused).

The amount of data in a regular Quantar SIMM exceeds the amount of storage in an 29F020 (original size of part on the main board), and as such, this is why you can't have the latest firmware in four 32 pin Flash memories, for the 4 unused simms on the CPU board. (Not to mention that the 5 bit code, that the boot loader is looking for, doesn't exist)

The other method I'd try to reload the simm would to use the serial cable method of flashing the station. In all the stations I've done, the 10 base 2 method is certainly the fastest, with a reqular Quantar taking about 7 minutes. To use the RS232 at 9600 baud, in a SLIP connection takes about 24 minutes. If your upgrading via 10Base2, then try the serial.

As to the IP address in a boot loader operation, I can only guess the station is at 55.55.55.56 or perhaps the two IP addresses you see mentioned in the RS232 SLIP setup instructions in the 20 MB PDF of the station manual for programming. Since the station is up and running on a spare SIMM, you can load a known IP address into the station and its saved into the cards 28HC64 memory. Then switch back to the bad SIMM and use the address you loaded in with the good simm.

MJ.

ronen No Longer Registered

Do you know most high version of firmware can fit inside the 29F020 ?
    Thanks Forward
    Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
    http://www.ronen.org

Thanks

From what I can tell, the use of four seperate 32 pin roms ended at version 8.50. I just looked in the RSS manual page 7-6, from manual 6881085E35AN. Starting at version 9.0, the firmware went to the 80 pin SIMM, as flash memory. The SCM card also changed from TTN4094 to CLNxxxx.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MojaveJoe View Post
    The other method I'd try to reload the simm would to use the serial cable method of flashing the station. In all the stations I've done, the 10 base 2 method is certainly the fastest, with a reqular Quantar taking about 7 minutes. To use the RS232 at 9600 baud, in a SLIP connection takes about 24 minutes. If your upgrading via 10Base2, then try the serial.

As to the IP address in a boot loader operation, I can only guess the station is at 55.55.55.56 or perhaps the two IP addresses you see mentioned in the RS232 SLIP setup instructions in the 20 MB PDF of the station manual for programming. Since the station is up and running on a spare SIMM, you can load a known IP address into the station and its saved into the cards 28HC64 memory. Then switch back to the bad SIMM and use the address you loaded in with the good simm.
    Thanks Joe. I'm already using the serial method (9600 baud) and theres no problem establishing a connection when the SWDL starts, so I know the IP addressing is fine. From looking at the traffic in Wireshark, the FTP put operation starts fine and the firmware begins to transfer, however it fails near the end - the FTP server inside the Quantar that handles the firmware upload sends a RST packet and closes the connection. I'll probably end up just replacing the chips and manually copying them from the good SIMM. Thank god these things can still be field repaired!

Good information too! Thanks!

Cheers,
    Matt