Thread: NX-700 Firmware Fail

Thanks

Default NX-700 Firmware Fail

Have a brand new NX-700 with K5.32, I didnt have access to the new s/w right away so I tried to downgrade with FPRO to K5.10, the process completed but the checksum didn't match at the end and now the radio won't turn on after resetting it.

Any way to recover or is it a factory trip?

Thanks

I think you are out of luck.

This is pretty rare, I've tested downgrading nx-5000 series all the way back to first release and it worked.

Im wondering if something else might have gone wrong, other than the fact it was a downgrade.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,010 Posts

When doing a downgrade you should be using the software that matches the firmware in the radio, otherwise the process cannot map the codeplug correctly. Firmware and CPS changes usually mean that the newer firmware in the radio is due to a hardware change. That usually means a remap of the codeplug.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mfr334 View Post
    Have a brand new NX-700 with K5.32, I didnt have access to the new s/w right away so I tried to downgrade with FPRO to K5.10, the process completed but the checksum didn't match at the end and now the radio won't turn on after resetting it.

Any way to recover or is it a factory trip?
    Ive not had this happen often. Can you hold the power button and get it to turn on? Usually when the checksum doesnt match it will still turn on that way and go directly into FW programming mode. If you can get it on, try programming at a slower baud rate. That was the problem I had that caused an 8180 to checksum fail and not boot up. One of the keys on the front will change the baud rate the radio is expecting. Then just set FPRO to match and try pushing the FW into it again.

Quote Originally Posted by PSEhub View Post
    I think you are out of luck.

This is pretty rare, I've tested downgrading nx-5000 series all the way back to first release and it worked.

Im wondering if something else might have gone wrong, other than the fact it was a downgrade.
    A bit off topic but there is a warning Kenwood posted about downgrading NX-5700 non-H radios. Theres a specific serial cut off but essentially if it was a factory 4.21+ NX5700, you shouldnt downgrade below 4.21. There was some parts changes made to the PA Final and supposedly bad things will happen if you put 4.20 or earlier onto one of these. Ive never tested it to find out so could be nothing but they thought enough about it to issue a notice.