Thread: Hustler G7-150-1 thoughts?

Thanks

Default Hustler G7-150-1 thoughts?

The specs seem quite decent, and a lot cheaper than the folded dipole, the mfg claims a 6 dBd (probably more like 4 dBd)... but seems well constructed and has N connector... thoughts for a base antenna? Not for ham.

G.

Thanks

I had one in the mid 80s on a 2m repeater. I would agree with your approximate 4dBd gain and I don't see how they could get 7dBd of gain in 15 1/2 ft. The most omni gain for size that I know of is a dipole array and a properly spaced 4-bay array can get you right about 6dBd gain in a 21ft antenna. A 5.25dB gain Stationmaster is about 21ft tall. 7dBd in 15.5ft where you can't get the spacing between elements optimized for max gain? Yea, sure. I didn't have a comparable antenna on the same tower at the same time to compare with so I can't really pinpoint the gain but it seemed to work ok, but not stellar on the limited range low site it was at.

Anyway I had it on the tower for almost 5yrs and one day I found a ground radial at the base of the tower with its threaded part corroded into a white dust like substance. A little while later I found the top aluminum section at the base of the tower completely corroded through and the antenna didn't make it to 5yrs without completely falling apart. The site is within about a mile of the pacific ocean with a very mild climate. I had other bare aluminum antennas on the same tower for 10+ yrs with only mild surface corrosion, so there is something about the alloy they used that is questionable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gMan1971 View Post
    The specs seem quite decent, and a lot cheaper than the folded dipole, the mfg claims a 6 dBd (probably more like 4 dBd)... but seems well constructed and has N connector... thoughts for a base antenna? Not for ham.

G.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CARC383 For This Useful Post:

gMan1971 (2 Weeks Ago)