Thread: swapping xts2500 model I with Model II

viper314 No Longer Registered

Default swapping xts2500 model I with Model II

I have an xts2500 model I BN I would like to swap the guts with my model II AN Is there any reason I cant do this or is there any pitfalls I need to be aware of?????

Thanks

Well there is the software aspect which we dont talk about here, but software wise it could be done. Then there is the hardware problem, the AN and BN cases and frames are different and can't be interchanged without some modding to the case or frame.

Yes Im not worried about the software aspect, I just have two working radios and would like to increase the memory of the model 2. I thought maybe just swapping the controller or something like that might do what I need.

By the way still waiting for your next addition of your blog it sounds interesting.

Alpha is online now T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 670 Posts

One of the two, AN vs. BN has rectangular plastic "Pegs" about halfway down the cases on either side that are molded into the case design, and corresponding "shoulders" on the PCB to go around the "Pegs". I think that those were the AN's. The BN's have straight sided boards and no "Pegs" in the cases.

So, you can put an AN board in a BN housing, the notches in the board are simply empty or useless. However, you can not go the other way around without notching the PCB so it fits with a nibbling tool, and I DO _NOT_ RECOMMEND THIS! Anyway, if you have both, take off the cases to both radios and what I am saying will become readily apparent.

My memory might be backward about which is "AN" and which is "BN" but the problem definitely exists, either way...

Thanks

The 2500 is a single board radio so you cant swap the controller really, I would just leave the AN alone and buy a model 2 or 3 BN housing for that radio. The software side requires depot software which we can't discuss in detail here. And as for the blog its good to know some people have been reading it, the next part should be soon. Think USB programming cables...