Thread: XTS3000 Vocoder Swap Questions

Thanks

Default XTS3000 Vocoder Swap Questions

I have a couple XTS3000 radios (UHF and VHF) where the DSP has become corrupted. It occurs to me that the simplest repair might be to swap in working vocoders from cheap 800 mHz radios and then get a firmware refresh to bring the (recipient) radios to the final host and DSP revisions so that everything matches correctly.

However, I don't know whether the DSP / vocoder boards are sufficiently common to the different bands to make this feasible. Before investing in some donor radios it would be helpful to know whether this should work.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Thanks

As far as I know the RF board is the only band specific part ...besides the antenna

The issue may be more of compatibility between the firmware on the controller and the VOCON.

I have stacks of the these boards ...pretty sure they are 90% latest version ...pulled from 800 radios with the controller EEPROM wear out.

Bought 800 XTS's for the controller so these are left over

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jry For This Useful Post:

LA_XTS (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

So, if I take the controller and vocoder boards from an 800 mHz radio, transfer them both to a UHF radio, and write the previously saved UHF s-record (using the appropriate tool) to the radio, and enter the saved (UHF) tuner values, it should result in a working UHF radio?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_XTS For This Useful Post:

b16a2 (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Yes as long as the HOST firmware is compatible for the UHF band for example if you have R06.X HOST firmware in the 800MHz controller you may have issues as its ASTRO25 trunking firmware. Ideally you would want to run the latest R07.71.07 HOST

S-Record write will transfer the tuning values across

7. The Following User Says Thank You to b16a2 For This Useful Post:

LA_XTS (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

The 800 mHz radios I've been considering using as donors are R07.71.07, and DSPN08.03.05 and I don't need trunking.

This opens some interesting upgrade options. I have a digital UHF mod III with the final firmware release. I also have a couple analog mod I radios that I'd love to make into mod III digital. Board swaps and s-record swaps should do it as long as care is taken to save and match up proper tuning values with the RF modules. I'm not concerned about duplicate serial number issues since this is for personal use -- not for sale, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LA_XTS View Post
    The 800 mHz radios I've been considering using as donors are R07.71.07, and DSPN08.03.05 and I don't need trunking.

This opens some interesting upgrade options. I have a digital UHF mod III with the final firmware release. I also have a couple analog mod I radios that I'd love to make into mod III digital. Board swaps and s-record swaps should do it as long as care is taken to save and match up proper tuning values with the RF modules. I'm not concerned about duplicate serial number issues since this is for personal use -- not for sale, etc.

Using the boards from the donor radios will work just fine.

M1 to M3 conversion will also work however you will have to manually update the tuning values as you mentioned, serial, model numbers and flashcode will be that of the donor

you should still verify the radios alignment after performing changes mentioned above

10. The Following User Says Thank You to b16a2 For This Useful Post:

LA_XTS (2 Weeks Ago)